Take Care of Yourself

Ashlyn's POV

"It's just comfy." I smiled cheekily, pulling up the sleeves of Big Red's flannel that I had stollen from him. "Don't take it back, I'm cold." I whined.

"Okay." He smiled and wrapped his arms around my shoulders from behind. I leaned against him.

"Come over tonight?"

"Sure love." He kissed the top of my head and I blushed. He knew exactly where to kiss to make me flustered. "Cutie."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Break's almost over." I sighed.

"You love rehearsals... what's up?"

"My throat hurts."

"Do you feel sick?" He asked, concerned.

"No, it's not like that."

"Okay. Take care of yourself hon."

"I will. We should go back in there." I said. The two of us had walked out in the hallway when the break started. Everyone knew we were dating, but we didn't love being like this with them. We didn't hold back from cheek kisses or hand holding around them, but we preferred the quiet.

"Alrighty." He grabbed my hand, intertwined our fingers, and we walked inside.

"Honey, we're running the scene, hurry." Miss Jenn said to me. I nodded and quickly headed onstage. I started to sing, but my voice kept breaking and cracking.

"I'm sorry, can I have a moment?" I asked. Miss Jenn nodded, and I went to my bag. I grabbed my water bottle, sighing when it was empty, and starting walking to the nearest water bottle.

"Hey, Ash, sit." Big Red softly smiled as he handed me his water bottle. I sat down, gulping down the water, trying to be quick. He sat next to me. "Slow down to breathe, love."

"I'm breathing." I mumbled.

"How do you feel?"

"Not very good, talking hurts." I said quietly. "But I'm fine, I'll just rest when I get home."

"If talking hurts you can't sing right now."

"I'm the lead I'm doing it." I said definitively.

It wasn't definitive to Big Red. He got up, talked to Miss Jenn, then came back. "Lemme give you a ride home."

"What did you do? I'm the lead. I can't leave."

"You have to take care of yourself or you'll have to leave at some point, you'll be absolutely miserable."

"I won't be miserable, I love theatre." I said.

"Ashlyn, stop." He grabbed and closed the water bottle, then held my hands. "Love, I want you to feel good."

"I feel fine! Gosh! I know how to take care of myself!" I exclaimed, but even as I said it my voice was a croak.

"Then do it. Actually take care of yourself." He crossed his arms. I sighed and put my head on his lap, giving in.

"Can you drive me home?" I whispered.

"There you go. Of course." He smiled slightly. I sat up about a minute later and we walked out to his car, both getting in. "Now please don't strain your voice."

"What happened though?" I asked, making sure to keep my voice quiet.

"You might've lost your voice, you've been practicing non stop."

"Oh. Maybe." I sighed. I started getting warm, stressing out. I thought about taking off the flannel, but it made me feel more comfortable that I was in it. Even though Big Red was right next to me, it felt like a hug from him.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, but what if I loose my part? Or get really behind?"

"But you've literally been listening to Beauty and the Beast non stop, you know the words. So you're not loosing your part, it won't be that long Ash." He said, reaching over for my hand. I held it.

"Thanks." I sighed. "Can we hang out now?" I asked as we drove up to my house. "Like a movie or something?" My voice kept getting weaker. He nodded.

"Hey, you okay?" Big Red asked as he gave me a hug. I had fallen asleep in the middle of the movie. He probably knew why: I overwork myself. I nodded. "Good."

"Thank you." I said at a quiet volume, hugging him back.

"Anytime, Ash, whenever you need me." He whispered into my ear. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Do you need anything?" He asked. I shook my head. He smiled and pecked my cheek as I sunk into the flannel, shivering. "You should keep that for awhile." I smiled and nodded. I put my head in his lap, playing with my necklace mindlessly as I looked up at him. He messed with my hair, causing me to grin.