Meeting Parents

"So I know you briefly met my parents on opening night, but, um, they're in town and wanna have dinner." Ashlyn was sat next to Big Red, her boyfriend of about 6 months now that is was June. She had just gotten off the phone with her mom.

"Oh."

"I know it's kinda nerve wracking, but... I don't know. Just be nice." She put her arm around his waist and pulled him closer. "Be yourself. I mean, maybe don't make a really dumb joke we'd make with all our friends, because those just kinda... confuse them."

"Okay." He hugged her. "No pressure, right?" He forced a laugh.

"They can't do anything if they don't like you." She shrugged. "I mean, ideally they would, but I love you either way." She pecked his lips.

"Love you too." He smiled slightly.

"Plus, right now, I've gotta get down to the pool."

"I hate that you have a job too now." He whined.

"You know, kids are cute, but they sure do look like they'll drown a lot more than they actually drown."

"You look cute with wet and messy hair."

"You should come, you do too." She grinned.

"Nope, I've actually got work too." He admitted.

"Then you can't complain about my shift."

"Still going to."

"That works. I'll probably do the same." She shrugged and kissed him again, placing her hand on his cheek. He pulled her in and kissed her back. When they separated, he put his head on her shoulder. "Are you trying to get me fired?"

"No." He said. "But I still wish you could stay."

"Same. I'll see you later." She smiled.

"So is the dinner, like, tonight or tomorrow or...some other time?"

"Oh, er, right. Tonight." She confirmed. "Good luck."

"Don't let any children drown Ashy."

"Good idea." She giggled.

"Bye."

"Bye."

"Babe, come on, it'll be fine." Ashlyn assured Big Red. "And it's way too late to aback out now, we're literally driving to my house."

"I'm gonna throw up." He pouted.

"It's not that big a deal, Biggie, I promise." She sighed. "It's one dinner."

"But we've been together for 6 months and I don't even know them. All I know is what you've told them. I mean, I know they're nice people, but they seem so uptight—"

"They are, but—"

"Ash, they're uptight and I'm me." He sighed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She frowned.

"It means I humiliated myself during the HSM read through because I can't read out loud. It means that the career conversation will come up—"

"They're my family and I'm fine with not doing anything huge. They will be too."

"I hope." He nodded. There was a brief silence.

"Okay, stop gripping the steering wheel so hard. They're so pale. And you generally look like you're about to explode."

"Physically?"

"Should I be worried you're emotionally going to?" She asked.

"I don't think so? I'm just really nervous."

"Are you... actually going to throw up?" She reached over with her hand. He finally loosened his grip on the wheel and put one hand into hers. She squeezed it with a small smile.

"Probably not, but I do feel like it."

"I'm sorry baby, but the night will be over before you know it." She assured him.

"I know." He let out a sigh as he pulled into the driveway.

"They liked you!" Ashlyn beamed at Big Red as they walked out of her house and to his car.

"I think so." He smiled, proud of how the night had gone.

"Oh God, you're adorable." She kissed him. "You look so happy!"

"I am." He put his arm around her as they stood beside his car. "We're together, you're parents like me, everything just feels right."

"I agree."

"I'm glad."

"Me too." She smiled. "And I'm glad we're over all the early relationship drama."

"Same."

"Coffee?"

"Sure."