I Don't Understand

"Hey." Big Red sat across from Ashlyn.

"Hello." She replied, the tone of her voice making it clear she was annoyed.

"What's wrong?"

"I've barely seen you this month, and you miss Valentine's Day." She muttered.

"I'm sorry, I really am, I keep getting caught up at work."

"I just miss seeing you." She said, poking at her food with her fork.

"I know, and I really miss seeing you, trust me."

"I don't understand why you're working so, so much."

"Look, I don't expect you to understand, I—"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She said, getting mad at him.

"It's just... no, I didn't mean it in a mean way, I..."

"You can finish dinner yourself." She said, rolling her eyes and walking to their room in the apartment they shared. She lied down in their bed.

"I— I love you!"

"Yeah."

"Ash, come on, hear me out." He went in and sat by her.

"I want to be alone."

"You said you missed me, not that you wanted to be away from me."

"Well opinions can change."

"Yes, yes, I know." He nodded. "Fine, I'll leave you alone. But I love you."

"I love you too." She mumbled. "Which is why I'm mad I never see you!"

"Ash, I have my reasons."

"I don't want a dumb excuse."

"The excuse didn't feel dumb until you started yelling at me." He said, tearing up.

"What does that mean?"

"I... well, it means that I... I've been working more than usual to save up money."

"That's clear, yeah."

"I love you, Ashlyn. I want to be with you forever. I don't want to spend time away from you, I just have to." He said.

"Why?"

"Because, like I said, I want to be with you forever. I want to marry you. And if that means working overtime so I can propose to you with a ring that isn't a piece of dumb plastic, then that's what it means!"

"You... you were gonna propose?" She sat up and looked at him, her eyes filling with tears.

"I'm hoping I still have the chance too."

"Yeah, no, definitely. Definitely." She threw her arms around him. "I'm sorry."

"It's not a problem, I really wish I could've handled this better. I get being upset."

"Yeah... I really miss seeing you. I wouldn't say no to 'dumb plastic' if it meant seeing you."

"Really?"

"Yeah." She smiled softly.