Cheater

"Hey, what's wrong?" Ashlyn asked, pulling Big Red into a hug. He had just shown up on her porch, crying. They sat on her bench.

"She— she... cheated on me..." he cried into her shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." she said honestly, but talking about his (now ex) girlfriend always made her uncomfortable. They'd been friends for years, and her crush on him was getting huge.

"I c- can't believe it."

"I know... you deserve someone so much better..."

"It just hurts." He mumbled. "We were only dating almost 2 months, but it hurts."

"Of course. You'll get through it."

"Thanks for always being here for me." He made a small smile through all his tears.

"No problem. I love you." She smiled shyly.

"I love you too." He replied. She knew it was platonic, it wasn't rare for them to say it, but she longed for it to be more. When she said it, it was more.

"Do you wanna come in?"

"Yeah..."

"Okay, come on." She brought him inside, into her room, and lied beside him on her bed. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"I just... I don't know what I did wrong."

"Nothing, Big Red. It's her loss. Literally anyone would be lucky to have you." She said. "Anyone."

"I guess."

"And I know, alright?"

"Mhm..." he said quietly, hugging her.

"You'll find someone who really loves you, maybe you already know them."

"I doubt it."

"Hey, anyone could love you." She said. "I mean, I love you."

"That's platonic, Ash."

"Uh— no." She muttered.

"What?"

"I- I kinda have a... really big crush on you... of course I love you platonically, but, um... well, more than that too." She mumbled shyly, bright red. "I don't really expect a response, you just got out of a relationship."

"I, um..."

"I'm sorry. I've gotta eat dinner, you should go home, um... bye." She said, ignoring him as she walked downstairs and started setting the table for her family.

"Ashlyn, I..."

"Friends is fine, I promise." She forced a smile at him. "But you know... tell me if you change your mind."

"I... wow, um, I will."

"Thank you. I'll see you at school."

"What is going on?" Ricky asked Big Red. "You and Ashlyn always sit together for lunch, why not today?"

"She's kinda avoiding me." He said. Before Ricky could reply, he continued. "I mean, I can't blame her."

"What happened?"

"Don't wanna talk about it right now." He mumbled. Across the table, Ashlyn was talking to Carlos.

"Something happen?" Carlos asked.

"What?" She responded, turning to him.

"Between you and Big Red."

"No, nothing." She forced a smile.

"That's a lie."

"Whatever, I'm not ready to talk."

"Uh... whatcha doing here?" Ashlyn asked, opening the door to Big Red a few days later. No response came, other than a kiss. She pulled him closer, putting her arms around him. His arms wrapped around her. It wasn't long of a kiss, but she was breathless when she pulled back. "I—"

"I love you."

"But—"

"Ashlyn, I thought about it, and I love you. I've loved you for awhile, it was hard to pinpoint. I love you." He said, interrupting her.

"I love you too."

"So... I take it we're dating then?" He asked nervously, suddenly loosing his flirty streak. Now things could be complicated.

Luckily, they weren't, and it was an easy choice for Ashlyn.

"Um, yes."

"Okay. Well, um, I hate to be like this, but I'm actually going out of town in a few hours, I really should get home." He said, a bit of disappointment in his voice.

"Oh, alright." She nodded, pulling him into a hug. "Uh... thanks?"

"What?" He hugged her back.

"Er... thanks. For thinking it over or whatever. For the kiss. I don't know, I've never done this dating thing. Or the kissing thing." She replied, confusing herself. He laughed lightly.

"Uh... you're welcome, I guess?" He smiled. "I'll see you in a few days. Maybe we can go out when I'm back."

"Yeah. Bye." She smiled as she closed the door.

"Bye."

They both let out a huge sigh of relief. Big Red couldn't stop smiling. Ashlyn couldn't either, and she was practically skipping as she made it to her room, almost squealing.