Almost

A/N: You're probably bored of crush one shots but they're fun 🤷‍♀️

"Nothing happened Seb, it was just an accident." Ashlyn mumbled. "Of course I leaned in, but... I must have imagined him doing the same."

"But if you almost kissed, there's no way it was all in your head!"

"I don't know... I doubt it."

"Ooh, look! He's over there." Seb pointed out Big Red in the crowd of others at their rehearsal. "Go talk to him."

"No..."

"Come on, do it!"

"Um... right." Ashlyn made quick eye contact with Big Red, which she nervously broke off. "Nope, nope. I'm not doing it."

"Too late..." Seb walked away as Big Red came over.

"Hi." He shyly sat beside her.

"Hello." She forced a smile, scooting away from him awkwardly. His eyes glanced at the new space between them, but her looked back at her before she could notice.

"About earlier—" They both said.

"No explanation needed." Ashlyn said. "I'm sorry we, um... don't feel the same way."

"Oh, uh... yeah. Yeah, okay." He mumbled.

"We can still be friends, right?"

"Sure." Neither of them sounded happy.

"Yeah that sounds good..." Ashlyn nodded in agreement. They were working together for theatre, a week later. She zoned out looking at him.

"Okay." He was writing on a piece of paper, and he didn't notice her. When he turned to look at her, she was closer to him than before. He put his hand on her cheek, leaning in more.

"What'd you guys come up with?" Came from behind them, and they jumped apart.

"It happened again." Big Red complained. "Why did I do that? She made it obvious she doesn't like me. She's gonna hate me this time."

"I don't know. Sounds like you were awfully close."

"I'm sure it was platonic to her."

"She didn't pull away from the kiss." He pointed out.

"I guess it's possible." He sighed. "I really have to talk to her."

"Ashlyn! Wait up!" Big Red ran to catch up with Ashlyn, who was walking home.

"I thought you drove here. Why are you walking?"

"Uh... shoot. I'm bad at excuses. Can we talk?"

"Is this about yesterday?" She whispered.

"Yes."

"Got it." She stopped walking. "So, um..."

"Can we cut out the ums this time?" He asked. "Did you want to kiss?"

"I— well... a l- little." She stuttered. "But we can be friends still if you don't feel—" He interrupted her by putting his hand on her cheek. "You feel that way too?"

"Yeah. I do." They both leaned into the kiss.