A crash, a bang, and a shriek

"Tell me you're okay. Tell me you're okay. Tell me you're okay." Ashlyn repeated to herself before opening her eyes. "Oh God." She sunk to the ground, sitting next to her boyfriend.

"I don't think I am." He said, clenching his teeth in pain.

"You're bloody, of course you aren't." She muttered, staring at his leg. She hated the scene, but couldn't take her eyes off it. His right leg was covered in cuts and blood, and both of them wanted to break down crying. "I hate skateboards." She shook her head and pulled out her phone before calling the hospital.

"Ash?"

"Yes?" Her voice broke as she looked in his teary eyes.

"Can you hold me or something?" He asked her, much quieter than usual. She frantically nodded, then hugged him from behind, keeping him propped up. Resting her chin on his shoulder, she started crying, and he did the same.

"He's going to be fine." Ashlyn's mom tried to assure her. "You were there. Worse couldn't happened."

Ashlyn had her face shoved in her pillow, sobbing. "You weren't there. It was... horrible. Only word to describe it." Her mom rubbed her back. After a few moments, she shifted out of reach. "Can I be alone?"

"Of course." She left.

"Thanks." Ashlyn watched her leave, putting her head back in her pillow when she saw the door close. It has been 2 hours, and she hadn't heard anything from Big Red or his family. Even if it was bad news, she thought, I wouldn't have to wonder—

Her thoughts were interrupted by a text. Jumping up to grab it, her body filled with excitement and hopefulness.

Hey Ash. I'll be here the whole day, but nothing's severe. It still really hurts, but I should be fine soon enough. Thanks for helping me when it happened.

She smiled a little to herself before replying.

It's not a problem, I'm glad you're alright 😘 Is it possible for me to come over?

A few minutes passed before she received a reply, because he had to ask someone if she could.

That would be great :)

A smile grew on Big Red's face as the door opened to Ashlyn. His parents smiled at him, then walked out so they could be alone. "Hey."

"Hi, how are you feeling?" She asked before sitting down beside him, careful not to touch or get near his leg.

"I'm really... I don't know. It's what you would guess: painful."

"I'm sorry—"

"There no need to worry or anything." He shook his head. "That won't help, you know what will?"

"What?"

"...I mean, a hug definitely wouldn't hurt?" He smiled.

"Sounds like a great idea." She agreed, followed by him pulling her into a hug. She tried to shake away her anxious thoughts, which she succeeded in, focusing on him.

They chatted, Big Red occasionally getting small bursts of pain, freaking both of them out. It caused Ashlyn to hug him tighter each time, only loosening about a minute after the pain passed.

"I love you." Ashlyn whispered, assuming Big Red was asleep. He was calm and his eyes had been closed for a long time. This was because he had been asleep, until he heard her.

This wouldn't be that surprising of a comment normally. But it wasn't normal. Neither of them had said it yet.

"I love you too."

"You— I—" She turned a bright shade of red. "So, um, I see you're up." She shyly smiled.

"Yeah, I am." He smiled too.

"Well I meant it."

"And so did I."