Heartbeats

California opened his eyes to bright sunlight hitting him, and soft chuckling coming from his side. He looked over and smiled at his partner who was snuggled into his side, watching some Tik Tok videos and laughing. The nation state adjusted himself so DC was laying more on his chest, the fed snuggling against him and humming against his clothes, breathing in the scent of smoke and beach air as he opened up another one of the creators videos.

The nation state was grateful DC followed him after his meltdown back at the Statehouse, unable to take it anymore with all the constant teasing and harassment he got from the other states. He'd been surprised at first, but DC calmed him down, laying him on the grass and letting him talk his frustrations out. California was surprised to learn DC had a similar issue from his latest trip from Washington, and the two cried about not being taken seriously and being made fun of for caring two much, before settling into making out, then cuddling together in the tall grass.

California played with the collar of DC's shirt as his partner chuckled, laughter vibrating against him like a purring cat. Louisiana always called him and DC the 'hearts' of their poly; the ones who cared about other people and constantly wanted to help, but it came with a price. People mocked you for caring, mocked you for standing up, mocked you for even thinking about others before yourself, and took advantage of your caring nature. California could name several times he was, and knew for a fact DC was also taken advantage of constantly, he just wondered why he never saw it coming.

The hipster became keenly aware of the silence around him and looked down to see DC had started snuggling into his chest, exhausted from his emotional outcry. California held him tight and kissed the top of his head, rubbing his back and wishing they didn't have to be the hearts, wishing they weren't born with such an intense need to care for people, wishing that their trauma didn't manifest in a way that made them want to care.

"Poppy?" California glanced up at Texas, surrounded by his other boyfriends, looking up at the two worriedly.

"We're okay." California whispered keeping a firm hold on DC.

"I can totally kill the western states for you, you know that right?" Florida asked, settling down next to California.

"Thanks blossom, but I don't want them to die." California whispered.

"They shouldn't treat you like that." New York grumbled sitting down and putting a hand on DC's back.

"You really should let us speak to them sha." Louisiana pointed out. California sighed and looked into the worried faces of his boyfriends, wondering how the hell he got so lucky.

"No." California whispered, as tempting as it was to have Texas, Louisiana, and New York yell at the western states, the brawn as DC lovingly called the trio, he knew it wouldn't lead to anything except another headache for him.

No, he needed to fight this on his own.

"C'mon, let's just stay here for awhile. Rosie will be asleep for a while, this is nice." California whispered. Florida looked like he was ready to protest, but one look from Texas shut the smaller state up and all the boyfriends huddled together in a gigantic cuddle pile. California looked around at all his partners, and smiled, leaning his head up to face the sun letting the warmth go over his skin.

It was worth being the heart just to have five partners who'd back him up any day of the week.