All the Pretty Horses

drug mention tw 

I took Kentucky not doing anything before marriage from ImWeirdOk I hope you don't mind but it makes so much goddamn sense 

DC sat up in bed and quickly muffled a scream. Another nightmare. He patted hard and grabbed his phone off the bedside table, groaning when he saw the time was two am.

He wasn't getting back to sleep tonight.

The fed put his phone down and sighed, smiling down at the sleeping body of California next to him. California did everything he could to try and get DC to sleep that night; they made love which usually put him right to sleep, Colorado gave him some weed to smoke, California even bought a white noise machine to lull him to unconsciousness. None of it worked as the nightmares just came back with full force, and he was awake once more.

DC sighed and got out of bed, moving quietly so he wouldn't disturb his boyfriend. He crept out of his room and to the living room; he'd usually do some work on nights he couldn't sleep but there was no work. Between keeping his toddler boss sated before inauguration and his boyfriends and dads hiding his laptop from him, he really had no work to do. The only thing he could do was pray he'd fall asleep eventually on the couch, and be nightmare free.

It was a pipedream really.

Eventually DC got to the living room and he snapped on the TV, lowering the volume so none of the other states would be woken up. He flipped around the channels before settling on Adult Swim, wondering if the bizarre cartoons would lull him to sleep. As he watched a giant fry and meatball talk to each other, his mind wandered and soon he was hallucinating again.

It was a dark hallway, there was shouting coming from every direction and DC was all alone.

"Stop the steal! Stop the steal!" The voices chanted, and despite every effort DC couldn't drown them out. He looked around desperately for IDC or Gov, but he was alone, and yet the voices seemed to be coming closer and closer.

"Stop the steal! Stop the steal!" The voices continued and DC felt himself falling to his knees, covering his ears. Tears escaped his eyes, as the walls felt like they were closing all around him, and he began feeling suffocated.

"NO!"

"SON."

DC jumped when he saw the worried face of Kentucky staring down at him. Everything came back into focus.

"Son what are you doing up? It's two am." Kentucky pointed out.

"I....I....I couldn't sleep...." DC whispered, horrified. Did he actually scream and wake Kentucky up? He felt himself filled with guilt.

"D-Did I wake you up? I'm so sorry..." DC whispered feeling tears fill his eyes. He knew it hadn't been easy for his partners and boyfriends ever since the last meeting when they saw how the last two weeks were affecting him. They were only doing their best, and god knows DC wasn't making it easy for him. He was such a burden.

"Never mind that. You need sleep." Kentucky ordered.

"N-No! Please don't make me.....the.....the nightmares...." DC whimpered.

"Son you need to sleep, this isn't healthy even for you. I'll get you some melatonin, that should put you in a dreamless sleep." Kentucky pointed out putting a hand on DC's shoulder. DC didn't respond, and the border state hurried off to the kitchen. He could only think how much trouble he was causing everyone; why did IDC and Gov seem to get away from that day without this pain? The fed glanced up as Kentucky returned with some water and a small pill. He handed the items to DC who took a small sip of water and then swallowed the pill.

"You want me to put you back with your lover kiddo, or do you want to spend tonight with me?" Kentucky asked. DC gulped and shyly indicated he wanted to go with Kentucky, who nodded. The border state helped DC up and led him to his room, which was immaculately clean and just screamed Kentucky. Georgia wasn't there, of course, despite shaking some of his religious background Kentucky still was wary about relations before marriage and his boyfriend respected that. DC could feel the melatonin kick in a little as he sat on the bed, as Kentucky locked the door.

"Now if you wanna get up again, you'll have to unlock the door, and I can hear it." Kentucky announced. DC nodded, trying to shake the fear of being a burden out of his system. He tucked himself under the covers as Kentucky crawled in next to him, sniffling a little.

"Kiddo?"

"I'm sorry." DC whispered.

"Sorry? Why are you sorry?" Kentucky said with a gasp.

"I'm....I've been a burden..." DC whispered.

"George Kelly. You are not a burden do you hear me? You're going through a crisis, and as your family we're here to support you." Kentucky pointed out.

"But if I was just stronger...."

"No one, no listen to me." Kentucky ordered. "No one should ever have to go through what you did. You had a traumatic event unfold before your very eyes, of course you're messed up. But we'll help you through it; we're your family now too." DC sniffed and looked for permission to snuggle into Kentucky. Kentucky held out his arms and DC was instantly in his chest, breathing in the faint smells of motor oil and bourbon from his nightshirt, with a little bit of smoke tied in.

"When my mama wanted us to fall asleep, she'd always sing us a song, you wanna hear it son?" Kentucky whispered. DC nodded and Kentucky nuzzled his hair a little.

Hushaby,

Don't you cry,

Go to sleepy, little baby,

When you wake,

You shall have

All the pretty little horses--

Blacks and bays,

Dapples and grays,

Coach and six-a little horses.

Hushaby,

Don't you cry,

Go to sleepy, little baby.

DC's breathing went steady, and Kentucky knew he was about ready to fall asleep. The fed yawned and took one last sniff of Kentucky's shirt.

"Night...dad." DC whispered, finally falling asleep. Kentucky sent up one silent prayer for DC to stay asleep before snuggling into his adopted son.

"Night son, we're here for you, always."