Break in a Glove

DC glanced up at the soft thuds in front of him and watched Georgia berate Massachusetts for throwing the baseball too soft. He liked quiet evenings like this; the sun setting beneath the trees, being able to finally read a little after being buried under paperwork, and watching his states just relaxing together instead of trying to kill each other.

"What kinda throw was that?" Massachusetts yelled catching the baseball and tossing it back to Georgia.

"A good one. Maybe I should teach your Sox's a thing or two about throwin'." Georgia pointed out catching the ball. DC snickered and went back to his book as the two continued to toss the ball back and forth.

"Massie!" Maryland called from the kitchen window. "C'mon, the movies on!"

"Wicked sweet." Massachusetts said with a smile tossing the ball back to Georgia, dropping his glove, then dashing back into the house. Georgia looked at Massachusetts discarded glove, then back at DC, before smiling.

"Hey peaches." Georgia called. "Wanna play catch?"

"Oh I don't know how." DC admitted looking up.

"C'mon, I'll teach ya." Georgia said with a smile. DC gulped and closed his book, setting it beside him and approaching the southern state.

"Here, you can use my glove. Which hand you write with again?" Georgia asked, taking his glove off and handing it to DC. DC popped the glove on his left hand, snickering as the glove flopped around when he moved it.

"It's a little big." DC admitted.

"That's alright, if you catch on, I'll buy ya one." Georgia said with a smile before retrieving Massachusetts's glove. He stepped in front of DC and underhanded the ball to him, which the fed caught awkwardly.

"Draw it into your stomach." Georgia ordered as DC underhanded the ball back to him. He stepped back a little and overhanded the ball back to the fed. DC fumbled with the ball again, but didn't drop it

"Try aiming and throwing it." Georgia said getting ready to catch the ball. DC gulped, aimed the ball, then threw it.

The ball went sharply left.

"Oh fuck." DC muttered as Georgia snickered.

"That was close peaches." Georgia said with a smile. "Imma go get the ball, then I'll show ya."

"Is that not the cutest shit you've seen?" Texas asked peeking from the back kitchen window.

"Dee can't throw though." Florida teased, although he couldn't fight the smile from spreading across his face.

"What's cute?" Kentucky asked, coming back in the kitchen with an empty beer bottle.

"Your boyfriend's teaching your son how to play baseball." Texas announced.

"Is that right?" Kentucky said, breaking out in a smile before pushing the two southern states aside and looking out the window.

"I GOT IT!" DC yelled, aiming his glove to catch Georgia's throw. He concentrated hard and stood on his toes, only for the ball to fall directly behind him.

"DAMN IT."

"Almost peaches! Almost!" Georgia said with a laugh as DC grabbed the ball. He took aim and tossed it back to Georgia; the throw wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than what he had started off with.

"You're gettin' better!" Georgia praised making DC beam. Kentucky beamed back, reached into his back pocket for his phone, and snapping a picture of his boyfriend and son, playing catch in the backyard.

"That's for the scrapbook." Kentucky said softly tucking the phone back. He pushed past the boyfriends and went out to the front deck, just as DC fired a throw back to Georgia, who hissed in pain as it hit his glove.

"Gia? Are you okay?" DC asked nervously.

"That was good peaches! Really stung!" Georgia said with a smile.

"Hey you two." Kentucky called making the two turn and look at him. "Wanna go out to get something?"

"Ice cream?" DC asked eyes going wide.

"Did you even eat dinner?" Georgia scolded, putting his hands on his hips.

"W-Well....I...." DC stuttered going completely red. Kentucky snickered and looped an arm around DC's shoulders.

"C'mon Geo, he can skip to dessert tonight." Kentucky pointed out. Georgia tried to keep a stern look on his face but smiled.

"Alright. But just this once." Georgia smiled joining his boyfriend and found-son as they walked off, like the family they were.