My Son

He ain't got my smile, that don't bother me a bit

He's got somebody else's eyes I'm seeing myself in

I'm holding on to every moment, God knows I've missed a few

The day we met I knew I had some catching up to do

"Try it again!" Kentucky yelled from the hood, looking at all the various engine parts. The car roared to life once more, but the engine continued to squeak and roar like it was possessed.

"DAMN IT." Kentucky yelled, throwing an oil rag down as the drivers side door shut.

"What's wrong with it?" DC asked joining the border state by the hood.

"It's the fan, I hate replacing those things!" Kentucky yelled.

"C'mon Tucky, it shouldn't take too long if we do it. P-Plus I got a book that might help." DC announced. Kentucky glanced up at the fed in shock.

"A book?" Kentucky asked.

"I.....Loui took me to the library and I...took out a couple books..." DC said quickly, blushing hard. Kentucky smiled and rubbed the fed's shoulder.

"Well alright then, go get it."

He ain't my blood, ain't got my name

But if he did, I'd feel the same

I wasn't there for his first steps

But I ain't missed a ball game yet

And that ain't ever gonna change

I could never walk away

Yeah, he's my son and that's my choice

He ain't my blood but he's my, he's my boy

California jumped as some documents were thrown in front of him.

"Explain this to me." Georgia ordered.

"The fuck....are these those bills rosie has to look over?" California asked, confused.

"He asked for help and I can't understand them, help!" Georgia begged. California picked up one of the bills and studied it, trying to ignore Georgia rocking back and forth on his heels in front of him.

"Would you hurry up? He's gonna get his coffee by the time you're done." Georgia hissed.

"Well I haven't seen these yet and why did you volunteer to help if you don't understand this?" California asked.

"I wanted to help." Georgia said and California could see the desperation behind his eyes, the thought of failing DC overriding his sense.

"Alright." California sighed. "Go distract rosie, I'll do a speed run."

It hit me like a train, the first time he called me dad

In a three stick figure crayon picture with all of us holding hands

His mama said, "I understand if it's too soon for this"

I didn't let her finish

I took it to the kitchen and I stuck it on the fridge, yeah

"Listen...if this is too much, I can talk to DC." Kentucky and Georgia both looked up at Gov who was just finishing up some notes from a meeting he ran, since DC was stuck in meetings back in Washington.

"Too much of what?" Kentucky asked. Gov sighed.

"My cousin sees you as father-figures." Gov explained. "And I'm sure you've heard stories of my uncle, you know why. If you don't like it, I'll talk to him."

"Why wouldn't we like it?" Georgia asked. Gov looked at the two states confused; after the headache of this meeting he really didn't want to spell it out for the couple.

"Because you're not his father." Gov pointed out.

He ain't my blood, ain't got my name

But if he did, I'd feel the same

I wasn't there for his first steps

But I ain't missed a ball game yet

And that ain't ever gonna change

I could never walk away

Yeah, he's my son and that's my choice

He ain't my blood but he's my, he's my boy

"AHA!" Kentucky cheered as the engine roared to life. "IT WORKED!"

"Did it?" DC asked peeking out from behind his book.

"SON YOU DID IT!" Kentucky said with a bright smile. "You got that damned engine to turn over!"

"HOLY SHIT!" DC said with a smile jumping up and down the state and fed and hugged each other tight.

"You oughta get more of them books out more often!" Kentucky said with a bright smile breaking the hug.

"You fixed most of it, I just read off some pages." DC said with a shrug before Kentucky squeezed his shoulders.

"Hey, I wouldn't have figured out what was wrong without you, you stop that. I'm proud of you." Kentucky whispered. He bit the inside of his cheek at the tears welling in DC's eyes, and quickly changed the subject.

"Let's get you cleaned up, you've got a date tonight." Kentucky suggested going over to stop the car.

"Dia and Texas are just taking me mini golfing." DC pointed out.

"And it's a date." Kentucky pointed out with a smirk nudging the fed. "You can borrow one of my shirts for a dress if you'd like..."

He's Saturday morning cartoons

He's, "Hey, can I sleep in your room?"

He's bigger than the plans I had

He's making me a better man

"So you see, dark roast is much better than light because the caffeine hits you harder." Georgia explained in the kitchen, distracting DC as California finished reading the bills.

"I never knew that." DC whispered in wonder as California entered the kitchen.

"Hey baby." California greeted DC smiling, going next to the fed and kissing him. As they kissed, the nation state handed the pile of papers back to Georgia who took them gratefully. On the papers were highlighter sentences and scribbled notes, pointing out where DC had gone wrong and stuff he should question. California eventually broke the kiss with a smirk.

"Oi save some of that for tonight." DC ordered with a wink as California snickered and walked off.

"I figured it out by the way." Georgia announced holding out the papers. "Where you're stuck."

"AWESOME." DC said with a smile. "Tell me, IDC needs this by three."

He ain't my blood, ain't got my name

But if he did, I'd feel the same

I wasn't there for his first steps

But I ain't missed a ball game yet

And that ain't ever gonna change

I could never walk away

Yeah, he's my son and that's my choice

He ain't my blood but he's my, he's my boy

Georgia jumped feeling a hand in his and smiled at his boyfriend, who was smiling softly back at him.

"Nah it's alright." Kentucky said softly looking back at the government. "We like it."

"You sure?" Gov asked. "This is all because of his unresolved trauma."

"It's fine Gov, I promise." Georgia said with a smile squeezing his boyfriend's hand. "He's our boy."

"You see him as a son?" Gov asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah." Kentucky said sitting up prouder. "He's our son."

Yeah, he's my, he's my boy