Pretending

As everyone in this city should know, since I was a kid, I always had a crush on Iris, my best friend. And the fact that I went to live with the West after my mom died and my dad was in prison, it didn't improve my situation. It is not at all easy to pretend for so long that you don't like a person.

But what costs me more is that when I was finally prepared to admit what I felt to Iris, I found out that she is in a serious relationship and with, nothing more and nothing less than Eddie, my friend and colleague at the CCPD. If I thought it was difficult to live with the person I like every day without being able to tell her what I felt, seeing every day the person I like to be happy with someone else, it is even more complicated.

I know that almost everyone close to me already knows, but the only people I can talk to about this subject are Caitlin, Cisco and Joe. Just like every day, early in the morning when I arrived at the CCPD, they were both kissing, all in love. After wishing them a good day, I went into my office and closed the door. At lunchtime, I went to meet my friends at Jitters to have lunch and then I was able to get a little excited and forget about the subject of Iris and Eddie for a few moments.

After lunch, I went back to the CCPD, because today I had to do the full shift and when I got there I didn't see either Eddie or Joe, so I went to my office and started doing paperwork that was late. However much I wanted to concentrate, the couple in love did not leave my head.

It was almost half past four when Iris knocked on my door and said she was on her lunch break and that she had come to see if Eddie wanted to go eat something with her at Jitters, but since neither he nor Joe were there, she ended up sitting down here a little bit. We were in the conversation until we saw that Eddie and Joe had arrived and as soon as Joe saw my facial expression, he came over to me.

"You know that sooner or later you're going to have to tell her the truth, right?" Asked Joe, sitting down in the chair across from me.

- I know, but it's not easy. How do you get to the edge of someone and tell them that I am completely in love with them since I was little and that it costs me every day to see her being happy with someone else?

- It really is a very complex situation. But Iris has a right to know that you like her.

- Allen.- said Eddie, before punching me.- Stay away from Iris.

- What the hell is going one in here? - asked Joe.

- You know what the worst part is? I thought you and I were friends.

- But what are you talking about?

- I just heard Joe saying that you like Iris, my girlfriend. That is true?

- Ah ... I ... I don't ...

"What's going on here?" Asked Caitlin, placing the two coffees on top of my desk.

- Don't get involved, Caitlin. This is between me and Barry.

- But of course I do. So you are physically assaulting my boyfriend and you want me to be quiet in my corner? I don't think so.

"Boyfriend?" Me, Joe and Eddie asked at the same time.

- But you still haven't answered my question. Why the hell are you hitting him?

- I heard Joe say that Barry likes Iris and I freaked out.

- You must have heard him say that Barry liked her, you know in the past.

- I didn't know you guys dated ...

- We prefer to keep our life private, private. In fact, few people know about our relationship.

- I really didn't know. I apologize immensely for this incident, which will not be repeated, "said Eddie.

- No problem. In fact, if it were the other way around, I would have reacted that way too, "I said, approaching Caitlin.

- But I shouldn't have done that. I should have cleared things up, if Caitlin hadn't shown up, I would still be furious with you. Sorry, buddy, "said Eddie, extending his hand.

"For my part, it's already forgotten," said Barry, smiling.

- To compensate you, why don't you go to my place tonight and we can have a dinner? I make a fantastic lasagna!

The truth is that I didn't know what to answer because I didn't feel like having to put up with the lovebirds but if I answered no, he could suspect that something is wrong and I don't want that either, so I ended up accepting it.

- Well we will go to our secretaries and we will leave you in peace.- said Joe leaving my office with Eddie and closing the door to my office.

- Caitlin, thank you very much, - I said, giving her a hug. - You were my savior today.

- Well I just came to bring you coffee, but I'm glad I arrived now and not later.

- Not that I'm complaining about being here, because I'm not. But shouldn't you be at STAR Labs?

- I had finished my tasks today and Wells told me to take the rest of the day. As I didn't feel like going home and I remembered that you were going to be here late, I remembered to bring you a coffee. But if I'm bothering you, tell me and I leave.

- Of course you don't bother, in fact you never bother. And I'm sorry about this whole situation, and today we have to go to dinner with them.

- No problem. I know it's not the ideal conditions, but at least you're not going to go through the moment alone, because I will be by your side all night.

- I don't even know how to thank you.

- No need. We are friends and friends help each other!

Caitlin ended up staying here for about twenty minutes and then she left. A few minutes after she left, I get a message from Iris saying that we had a lot to talk about and she congratulated me on my relationship. As soon as my shift came to an end, I quickly left the CCPD and went home, that is, to Joe's house to change clothes and finally, I went to get Caitlin to go together for dinner.

About twenty-five minutes later we arrived at Eddie's house and when we rang the doorbell, Iris came to open the door for us. As we had arrived at the last minute, due to my CCPD schedule, we immediately went to the table and started to have dinner.

"So tell me there, how long have you been dating?" Asked Eddie smiling.

"It's recent, about a month and a half," said Caitlin, showing a smile. I confess that I was stuck with the food and my luck is that Caitlin is here to help me answer all the questions of these two.

"And who asked who to date?" Asked Iris this time.

- It was him. He took me to the park on the edge of STAR Labs and asked the question.

- How romantic. Barry, you could have told me about Caitlin.- said Iris looking directly at me.

- We agreed that we wanted a more private relationship. I was going to tell you but not now.

- Actually, I was the one who asked Barry to keep it secret for now. As you know, Iris, I was engaged to Ronnie until very recently and I was afraid of starting a new relationship anytime soon. But the truth is that since the two of us met, I feel that this makes sense.- said Caitlin taking my hand and intertwining our fingers.

- I understand. It was very tragic what happened to Ronnie. And you're forgiven for not telling me earlier, "said Iris, winking at me.

After all this interrogation, while Eddie and Caitlin tidied up the dishes, I stayed to talk to Iris. It was half past eleven when we said goodbye to the couple and left Eddie's house. As I had super speed we didn't bring Caitlin's car, but I think I was in need of a walk, so instead of using my powers, we went quietly into the night.

The truth is that tonight wasn't even as bad as I thought it would be and I had fun, even though it was a very strange dinner. Well, it seems, Caitlin and I will have to be a couple for the next few days!