Chapter 43 - Izuku 5

- Izuku's P.O.V -

Today could be defined as a balance beam that had neither party tipping higher than the other.

I was appreciative but I was also remorseful. I had been pacing back and forth outside of Florence's room. I hadn't even realized today's date until I saw it written on the board that had her name and date of birth scribbled beside it. Today was a month since she returned to us, it was like a slap to the face that stung cruelly.

Florence Reyna. That girl was a double-edged sword,  loving her could eat you alive and make you whole all at once. I couldn't ever understand how I was privileged enough to have her love me and reciprocate my affection. She was an enigma that was so out of reach. In various moments, I could have her pressed to me but she usually had this look in her eyes, one that made her feel like she was actually a million miles away, universes separating us.

I had this horrible pit in my stomach since last night, every time I looked at her, it only grew, threatening to engulf me in sadness and fear. I didn't want to lose her again, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to her once more.

But it did. Once again, she put herself on the line to protect everyone else, she was the poster image of heroism and I knew anyone could see that. Uraraka, Iida, and Shoto constantly praised her, Kirishima dubbed her as the manliest girl he knew, All Might admired her, and even Kacchan thought she was more worthy of being a hero than him, which really meant something from the person who wants to be the best.

I remember the way my heart shattered when she was flying off of Overhaul's man-made pillar, body hurled towards a small yet dangerous spike that emerged from the wall. I was torn, I wanted to stop Chisaki from approaching but I also wanted to run away with Eri and catch her. She simply gave me that same beautiful smile that she would only show to me in her most vulnerable moments, shaking her head before meeting fate. I cried while fighting Overhaul, wishing that I could at least protect Eri and the girl I love, but I knew she would never forgive me if I prioritized her over Eri's safety.

It was even worse knowing that I'd have to tell her about the news of Sir Nighteye. She was in surgery when it happened, and Sir made me promise to relay one last message to her before he passed away. I still felt disgusted with myself in guilt, watching a now quirkless Mirio mourn over the loss of his mentor, the same mentor that vouched for Reyna as much as he did with Mirio, he placed his faith in them both, not in me. He wanted Mirio to be All Might's successor and now he couldn't even be there to see him become a hero, to see Togata become the man he was destined to be.

He also cared for Reyna too, I confided in him about her struggles once, and he grew respect for the girl who fought so hard to get to where she needed to be, he called her a "diamond forged from disaster," and that she was. Sir Nighteye saw Florence the way he saw Mirio, they were both destined to be great heroes that would do justice in All Might's absence. Mirio would be losing the mentor he loved dearly, I could tell in the way they spent time together like All Might and I did. Mirio's wailing pleads and tears were loud and painful, they made my heart ache as I stifled sobs of my own in an attempt to give them some privacy.

"Please, teach me more!" Lemillion begged and I couldn't imagine the heartbreak he must be going through, if that time were to come between All Might and I, I don't think I could even begin to properly live with myself. I saw All Might the way Mirio saw Sir Nighteye, and for that, I felt like shit for breaking my promise. I vowed that no one would die and I went back on my words, watching the green and yellow haired man look at us with sunken eyes.

"A society without cheer and smiles will not have a bright future." Sir Nighteye's final words stung me as Bubble Girl mourned hysterically. When the monitor flatlined, I choked out a cry of grief as All Might hung his head in sorrow, tears slipping out and pelting the ground along with everyone else's.