Chapter 49 - Bakugo 9

The U.S QAP would be evaluating me today, they were sending the team I typically worked with in America to monitor my progress in Japan. I was terrified, if they weren't satisfied with my quirk right now, they would enroll me in a boot camp back in America and I would be forced to leave the home I found with U.A.

I had been gnawing on my nails in worry, fading in and out of the conversation that Shoto was attempting to carry with me. His two-toned hair was breezing in the wind as Bakugo and Kirishima discussed their roles in the upcoming school festival. I would be playing the guitar and dancing with our dance team while Bakugo got designated as our class's drummer. We were outside, waiting for Eri to arrive along with Mirio. Izuku and I were really excited, but the frustration from the QAP's arrival was withering away my excitement and longing to see the little girl that we had rescued.

"Florence, are you alright?" Shoto questioned, waving his hand in front of my face. I realized I had been zoning out and my eyes were focused on his blankly.

"Oh, yeah, just got a lot on my mind is all." I spoke, giving him a calm smile while he studied me for a few seconds before turning away. I had resumed to poking at the skin that surrounded my nails, but a large hand gripped my wrist and forced mine away.

I said nothing, allowing Katsuki to prod at my fingers as he sighed, pulling out a bandage and cursing me all the while wrapping it around my index finger. I flipped him off, "Thanks, that's why I fell in love with you," I whispered in a teasing manner with a wink, he just rolled his eyes and looked away.

"Flo, she's coming!" Izuku's over-the-moon voice made me whip my head in the direction he sprinted. I grinned, watching him happily greet Eri. She was wearing a red overall dress with a white long sleeve and cute brown boots, her shiny looking hair was blowing in the wind as she watched us carefully. She seemed pleased to see Izuku despite her lack of a smile, but I knew that eventually she'd progress.

"Why are you staring at the damn nerd like that?" Bakugo snapped, but I saw from my peripheral vision that he too stared at Midoriya with the same expression.

I chuckled, admiring the energy and spirit Izuku always carried. He was everyone's light without realization, he changed people for the better, challenged them to grow and understand themselves and show kindness. Bakugo and I both knew we were looking at the future Symbol of Peace, he would be far greater than All Might and those who came before him. Katsuki and I promised each other something with a single glance.

We would support and protect Izuku Midoriya as much as we did with one another.

"That's our best friend, Bakugo, no point in denying it." My voice was low, I knew only he could hear me and he grunted, signaling that he wouldn't disagree with my statement, even if he didn't like the idea of it.

"Flo?" Her soft voice beckoned my attention as I met Eri's gaze. She held out a small, light green hydrangea. I walked to her, greeting Mirio before crouching to match Eri's height.

"Is this for me, Eri?" She nodded and I took the flower, studying the smell and how it was the prettiest flower I had seen.

"I want to say thank you, for saving me." My chest gave a dull ache at her gratitude, she was watching me carefully, as if I'd snap at her with hearing the wrong thing. Poor girl, she's been through so much.

I slowly lifted my arms, holding them out to request for a hug but not forcing her to if she wasn't comfortable. Eri looked confused for only a second before pouncing into my arms. I stood up, carrying her with me as she pressed her head into my shoulder blade, I smiled and hid the tears that wanted to seep out. We stayed like that for a while, I whispered, "I like your dress, maybe one day we can go buy another one and eat some brownies?" She lifted her head meekly at my offer, "What's a brownie?"