Chapter 6: Dreams Vs. Reality

AJanae's POV:

''Where is AJanae?'' I heard her sob as I shifted in my sleep.

''She is a sleep alongside Markie." it was my Gran's voice that reassured my mother.  I opened my eyes to see that Gran was right, I had been sleeping next to Markie. I could hear Natalie, my mother, crying and I had no idea why. 

My eyes were beginning to close again but when I heard my name I perked up. "What am I suppose to tell AJanae?" I heard Natalie whisper an she had said more after that but I couldn't catch it.

"I will tell her Nat if you would prefer that. I know how hard this is on you." my Gran had offered. I wanted to know what they had to tell me. 

"No I will tell her." Natalie spoke sternly and then stopped talking altogether. There was a long pause before she spoke again. "She can never know."

"She won't. We will make sure she never finds out about them. She will live her life as normal as possible." my Gran agreed. I wanted to listen and know more but I was so tired. Their voices became muffled and my eyes once again drifted closed and the last word I remembered hearing was 'protected' before everything grew dark again.

I woke up with a headache and my heart pounding against my chest. This was not the first time that I had dreamt this dream. I would dream about this conversation at least every two weeks. What scared me even more was that it was a real conversation and it had taken place fifteen years ago. I was only two at the time but I can still remember everything that was said. The nagging feeling of people closest to me hiding secrets had haunted for most of my life. I had never had the courage to confront Natalie or my Gran about the issue. Fifteen years later and my chance at ever asking Natalie is gone and I still don't know what I am suppose to be protected from. I realized that I only had a limited time to confront Gran and as much as I tired to ignore the dreams, I knew that time was running out.

"Morning Gran." I greeted as I walked into the kitchen to get some breakfast.

"Morning AJ. How did you sleep?" she smiled warmly at me.

"Fine." I lied, not having any courage in me at all. "And you Gran?" I asked.

"I slept well thanks Hun." Gran replied and she seemed content in her answer.

I grabbed an apple and slung my backpack over my right shoulder. "That's great Gran. See you after school." I hugged her and then made my way to the front door. This was it, if I left now, there was no going back. It was now or never as much as I preferred it to be never I had to know what my dreams meant.

"Something wrong AJ?" Gran asked, obviously noticing me pause at the door.

I turned to her to answer. "Actually Gran I need to talk to you about something." This time I had answered her truthfully.

"I am very busy today. Is it that important?" she was so busy reading something that she hadn't even made the effort to look me in the eyes when she spoke.

"Um...no." I hesitated, not wanting to be a burden on her. "I guess it can wait if you're busy." I lied again because it was important, at least to me it was. This dream had plagued my entire life and not once had I ever questioned it until now. 

"Are you sure AJ? I can make time if it's priority." she finally looked up to take in my expression but fortunately for me I was an expert at hiding my emotions.

"No Gran. It's really fine. It was a stupid question anyways. Never mind." I feigned a smile hoping that she'd buy it.

"Okay AJ. You better get to school before you late." she advised when in actual fact it was not advice I was looking for. I was looking for the truth and one day I know I will find it. "Oh and AJ before you go I have been meaning to ask you why your hand is so red."