Chapter 25: Resemblance is Uncanny

AJanae's POV:

We walk back to the car in silence. I am really inquisitive about what he was going to say but I know I have just blown any chances of hearing it. None of us feel much like talking and it's fine by the both of us, yet I can't help but feel that I shouldn't have lied to him.

The ring tone of Falcon's phone catches me off guard as he answers, "Hey Slate, what's up?" 

His eyes never leave mine while he speaks. I am the first to look away, afraid I might be over stepping boundaries into his personal privacy. "Again? No I am busy. It's none of your business with who Slate." he says into the phone as he glances over his shoulder at me.

This time he made sure to put his phone on silent so I couldn't overhear. "So what if I am with her?" he questions. "Slate I said no. Don't even try that voice on me..." he trails off, listening to what Slate had to say.

I sigh and lean my head against the car, aware that this was going to be a long conversation and no matter how much Falcon tried to overpower Slate's wishes, we'd both end up doing what ever it is Slate wanted.

Falcon's POV:

I groan in frustration as I press the end call button and turn to face AJanae. "Looks like we're going to the beach."

She gives me a knowing smile as if she realized this would happen. "And that smile?" I question because in reality that smile was blowing me away. 

"Nothing." she shakes her head innocently.

I frown, thinking back on what she said back at the tree. I wanted her to remember when we bumped into each other, but she didn't. Something happened to me the moment I saw her for the first time. I can't explain it but a second ago I was about to try. There's no point in doing so now if she doesn't remember. If she doesn't remember then she wasn't affected the way I was. The effect was inexplicable. It was as if a part of me had expected her to show up and bump into me that day and the other part of me never saw it coming.

"Drew's surfing competition is today and Slate wants us to come watch, says it's our duty as his closest friends." I sigh, because my plans have been changed yet again. 

I wanted to spend the day with AJanae and AJanae only. She seemed off or different for the past week so I dropped by, unannounced, for a visit. I never thought she'd open up to me about some of her past but I was more than pleased when she did. What surprised me more was that I loved hearing about her past, about everything I missed over the years. As weird as the thought is, I cant help but feel I should've been in those past memories. I feel convinced that I know her well enough by now and so long as I know her, I am happy.

I didn't want her to stop talking. I loved her voice, hearing it had me mesmerized. Just the sound of her voice could cheer me up instantly. Lately I have no idea what's going through my head. All I know is that Nova is doing things to me that I can't understand. What irritates me most is that I can't control any of it.

She made it known to me that she appreciated personal space and earlier I had invaded it. I don't know what I was thinking, in fact I wasn't thinking, I was acting on impulse. I had moved in closer on impulse. I could practically feel her heartbeat against mine and her eyes...those oceanic blue green eyes drew me in every time. She just has to glance my way and I feel like I am being sucked up into a whirlpool of intense emotions. I struggle to look away or focus but she doesn't know it and I'd keep it that way.

"Dean will be Dean." her soft and always genuine voice brings me out of my thoughts. She smiles up at me through her long lashes. My heart picks up speed when ever she smiles, a pity she doesn't do it often, well at least not with me around. I smack my forehead in anger, frustration, aggravation. She has no idea the effect she has on me.