Chapter 8: The Mark Of A Kill

AJanae's POV:

He wanted me to stay? For some reason the thought brought a tiny smile onto my face. Soft pounding of droplets could be heard above us. "It's raining?" Falcon stated even though it felt as if he was questioning himself.

"Sounds like it." I agreed. My eyes trailed from looking above at the roof and then to the floor where a hand was still enclosed over mine. I hadn't realized it until now and I'm sure Falcon hadn't realized either. I quickly pulled my hand back from under his because it didn't feel acceptable, especially in both of our cases. He gave me a puzzled expression before reluctantly moving his hand further away. Looks like he took the hint.

"So Nova, ever wondered how the game of football actually works?"  Falcon smirked mischievously but of course I would only pick up on that later.

"Well I guess I have..." I trailed off when I saw him getting up and grabbing his football helmet as well as a football. Then everything clicked in my head. My next words came rushed out, "Notreallyiswhatmeant-" 

"Shut up Nova and just get up already." Falcon demanded but I stubbornly refused until he yanked me up with force so that I was now standing. "Now follow." he ordered and I found myself obeying, afraid that he'd drag me out himself if I failed to comply.

"But it's raining outside." I pointed up like the idiot I sometimes was.

"Well luckily you can swim then." he winked and pulled me along with him out into the rain until we were standing in the centre of the field. The lights were still on because the security guards were still on duty but the rest of the crowd had completely dispersed. 

"And what if I can't swim?" I retorted back cheekily. 

"Well as long as you don't expect me to save you then enjoy drowning." I opened my mouth to lash out at his comment but didn't get the chance as his football helmet was suddenly forced onto my head. 

"Thanks for being gentle." I muttered sarcastically and put the helmet on properly. It felt so heavy and I felt like a bubble head with it on.

"If you knew about me then you'd know that I am not the gently type." he shrugged and then began chuckling under his breath.

"What's so funny?" I glared at him.

"Nothing. You just look funny in my helmet is all. Your head is bobbling everywhere." he laughed a little louder this time and I found myself joining in with him.

"When you asked me about football, I only said I was interested because I thought you'd just explain it like any normal person. Nope, you have to be all different and I actually make me play it and in the rain too. Why can't you be simple?" I complained as the rain began soaking my clothes. My vision clouded from the little I could make out from under the helmet.

"Because I am a complicated guy. No stop whining and take the dam football." He chucked the football at me and I almost went flying with the powerful force behind that throw. "Great at least you caught it. " he grinned and seemed to be impressed.

"Why can't Corona do this with you, why me?" I asked as I threw the ball with much force as I could back to him.

"Don't mention her name for a while. In fact don't mention her name at all. We had a couple fight, well that's what she calls them anyways." he mutters as he catches the ball effortlessly.

"How come you don't have to wear a helmet?" I asked, curious and not to mention annoyed that I was forced to wear it.

"Because unlike you I can actually swim. I don't drown." he chuckled and I just shook my head at him. Why was he suddenly being so nice?