Chapter 14: That I do Nova...

AJanae's POV:

"I still can't get my brain wrapped around one thing. Why did you go with him in the first place?" he asks from beside me but keeps his eyes on the road.

"Your father can be very persisting. He forced me to go with him." I shrug and go back to staring out the window, not seeing anything but darkness.

He glances over to look at me for a brief second, "Why didn't you just call me?" he asks, not realizing the obvious reason why I never called him. 

"I don't have your number." I clarify.

"That's because you never asked." he says causally but grabs his phone and chucks it into my lap. "Add your number." he orders rudely.

I listen to him and save my number under his contacts. Half of his contacts are female, no surprises there. I notice his screen saver. It's a photo of a pretty blond hugging Falcon. It's not Corona, nor is it any girl I have seen before. Judging by the way Falcon is smiling and the way he's holding the girl tightly to him, tells me that the two are close. Although I am inquisitive I don't bother asking, already aware I won't get an answer.

I don't know how he knows what's going through my mind but somehow he does, "She's just a friend." he says sadly as he retrieves his phone from my hands. 

The flash of hurt that washes over his features makes it obvious that she means more to him than just a friend. He is lying to me. I don't bother with a response because I am not sure what I am even suppose to say.

Thankfully I don't have to say anything. He parks in my drive way and stops the car. I turn to face him, "Thanks again." I smile and reach for the door. His hand on my wrist stops me as he leans over and closes the door again. I sigh, knowing he obviously wanted something.

"You lied to me. I don't appreciate being lied to." he shifts in his seat so that he's facing me. What is he on about now? I shrug, not much in the mood for talking. He goes on to inform me, "You've been clutching to your ribs for the entire car ride. Plus I heard wincing back there. What happened? I thought you said you're okay." 

"I am okay." I tell him truthfully. "When he threw me I landed on my ribs. It's fine though, nothing serious." I reassure him.

"Let me see." he immediately demands. I blink at him, not sure if I heard him right. "I said let me see." he repeats as he reaches out to grasp the hemp of my hoodie.

Even if I allowed him to see the injury he wouldn't be able to get a clear view because the car's light is dim. I slap his hand away."Nah I don't think so." I say back just as cockily. Before he can stop me this time, I open the door and jump out.

I expect to only hear one door slam but when two doors slam I know he's following me up to the porch step. I fumble with my keys as I open the door, not bothering to turn around. I feel exhausted and when I am tired, I can very irritable. Proof of this is me slamming the front door in his face.

Gran hears the bang as she enters the living room. "AJanae sweetheart are you okay?" she rushes over to me and pulls me into a warm embrace. I can't fight the smile that takes over my features, knowing that she cared. She tugs back to observe me, "Why did you just slam the door like that?"

"Nova let me in." I hear Falcon hiss from outside. 

Gran gives me a stern look, meaning that she was disappointed in me and that I was being rude. I sigh, secretly agreeing. I was being a jerk. I walk back to the door and open it. I step aside and allow for Falcon to enter and he does just that, but with a cold glare in my direction. Can't say I never deserved it.