Chapter 9: Understanding Him?

AJanae's POV:

Walking home to the peaceful night calmed me down. Why was I so worked up anyways?

Back in Wakefield I'd walk home with Mark all the time. There was no murders or crime. Everyone that lived there had a heart, or so I thought. I, out of all people, should know not to be so naive.   Everyone has faults and no one is perfect but a year ago I had forgotten that. I had thought he was perfect. I thought he was everything that I would never be able to be. I was wrong. I won't let it happen again and I as sure as hell won't forget.

Thinking about the past only brought a frown on my face. I quickly pushed those memories away. Now was not the time to think about Mark. In fact I was to never think of him again.

My thoughts were disrupted by the soft pacing of footsteps behind me. As if right on cue the wind began to pick up on a soft humming sound. Instead of panicking I quickened my pace instead. The footsteps behind me matched my every step and quickened in pace too.

'If you're being followed, never, under no circumstances, look back. It will get you killed. Keep walking and don't run.'  Why my mother's words kicked in now, I wouldn't know.

I kept on walking to a quicker pace, trying to outdo my stalker without the means of running. 'The chase is the funnest part,' I reminded myself. Although my heart was hammering against my chest I kept on walking as if nothing was bugging me. 

It soon became clear to me that I wasn't going to lose my stalker like this. Who ever it was would keep following me until I lead him or her straight to my house. I couldn't put Gran in danger. I would rather die than even put her at any kind of risk. 

'If the person keeps it up then you have to take the chance that most of us are too frightened to try but if we don't then we're as good as dead. If the killer has you fooled then fool him or her back. Sometimes it's better to play with fire,' Natalie had once said and I had never fully grasped the concept until now.

I knew the consequences of what I had just done. There were two ways for this to go down. The person could actually believe me and feel threatened or I could get killed. "Leave me alone and I won't expose you." I threatened, trying to pull of a courageous act when in actual fact I was close to just handing myself over and giving up. Terrified would be an understatement at this very moment. I was traumatized.

I could hear... almost feel the breathing behind me, when suddenly everything went dead silent. The wind stopped it's gentle humming, the footsteps had faded and the breathing could no longer be heard. I counted to a minute in my head before turning around to see if I was safe. No one was there and all could be seen was the long path that I had been walking on earlier and it stretched into the never ending darkness.

I put my hand to my heart only to find that it was accelerating. I feel weak in my knees as if I'd faint any second now but I kept pushing forward until I reached the house I had currently been staying in.  

I unlocked the door before being braced into an overwhelming and unexpected embrace from my Gran. "AJanae, you're okay?" she asked, quickly letting me go to observe me from head to toe to make sure that I was perfectly fine.

"I'm okay Gran." I put a hand on her shoulder. "Why are you so worried anyways?"

"It- I-well it's your first party you've ever been too." she stuttered nervously and suddenly the whole atmosphere changed. I stopped laughing and now I was growing suspicious.