Chapter 41: Welcome Home

Tamarind’s POV:

It’s round about thirty minutes later and I have successfully removed Slate and ‘said friend’ from Slate’s house that is now a danger to all of us, including his parents, luckily they come by just fine on their own. It wouldn’t be the first time Slate’s father comes head to head with a vampire, so he’s the least of my concern as of right now.

I watch Slate carefully and subtly as he downs the drink I had made him to calm his nerves. If he only knew that I laced his drink with vervain. It’s for his benefit. It will protect him. It’s just in case. I am always prepared for the worst.

I grab a few extra vervain bottles from my bedroom shelf and shove them in my many backpacks hurriedly. I had no other option but to bring the two over to my secret bungalow where I store all nifty kit proven to weaken or kill vampires.

We had to move and soon!

I never wanted to tell Slate what was going on because just knowing about the supernatural is a dangerous and dark world. But since I’ve been left alone to deal with the situation, I have no options left. I need Slate to focus and help me or Drew and AJanae die. Sure, I can hold my own, but I can’t accomplish this all by myself.

I am no superman, just an ordinary girl working to try and save the ones she cares about. I guess that’s something AJanae and I have in common.

“You think he’s going to wake up anytime soon?” Slate asks me. I shrug, not really knowing who the blond haired blue eyed guy was, other than he was an old friend of AJ’s. He’s not the reason why I came.

I never break a promise, ever.

I promised Fourie that I’d protect his family. Slate was part of that family. I was just living up to the oath I took. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the fact that I’d be taking care of two clueless dimwits. If only Drew were here…

As much as I hate to admit it, I could really use Fourie’s help right about now. His passing has had a drastic impact on just about everyone in school that’s heard, including me. The town can literally feel the loss. Even his father, mental, reacted and wept straight for hours. I need Fourie’s assistance right now. If only he were still…

Then again, he’s Fourie Falcon and I can’t help but wonder if there’s a slim chance that he’d in hiding and not in actual fact dead. Fourie is slyer than he let son and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a plot of his to tick the vampires into thinking he is dead so that he can finally be free and live his life. But that’s wishful thinking on my part.

How can I do it all on my own? How can I protect Dean and the blonde guy whilst Drew and AJanae are days away in another town in their own kind of danger?

I can’t be in two places at once and I am sure as hell not letting Drew die on me…that leaves me with only one other option: Take dimwits with me.

“So can we go over what you just said because I’m a little confused and I think you owe me a proper explanation for that crazy thing you said so-“

I grab my venture backpack, the one always packed and ready to go on any short notices that may occur. This wouldn’t be the first time that I just up and leave unexpectantly. Inside there are tons and tons of weapons ranging from stakes to wooden bullets that might just come in handy when I have a run in with the vampires. I toss Slate his own bag and shove him out the way as I head for the door of my secret place, completely ignoring his protesting, “We need to move!” I demand and exit the secret hideout. I motion for Slate to hurry up because he seems frozen on the spot in shock, “I said move!”