Chapter 11: Reopening Old Wounds

AJanae's POV:

"Fourie?" I breathe and open my eyes. I can feel his arms tighten around me and then stiffen as soon as I say his name. I realize that I am clutching tightly to him so I quickly let go.  I look around and see that he is holding me. I quickly sit up and push off his 'reluctant to let go' arms and then jump off his lap. 

I am about confront him about our position but then I remember that I owe him big. He saved my life. I get ready to thank him but he speaks first an it changes everything. "What the hell was that? You just stood there? I had to risk my own life to save yours. If I didn't come back for you, you wouldn't be here right now. Don't expect it again Nova." he shattered my whole gratitude speech and managed to make me feel completely guilty instead.

"I'm sorry." I find myself apologizing to him instead of thanking him.

"Yeah well sorry is not going to cut it." he replies harshly and his every facial detail indicates that he isn't going to soften up anytime soon.

"I just froze." I give my lame excuse although it was the truth. I felt as if I couldn't move.

"Yeah well the next time you freeze it will be for eternity because I won't risk my own life for you again. I hope that's clear." Falcon glares at me but it wasn't his usual glare. This glare said more than words could. He wasn't just mad, he was enraged and it was because of me.

His glare made me feel vulnerable and I felt completely an utterly helpless an weak. Dean must have noticed because he made the decision to stand up for me. "Take it easy on her Fourie. She panicked. It's a normal reaction."

"Yeah and so is running from danger yet she didn't quite get that right either." he replied back coldly and his tone made me want to flinch but I stubbornly stood my ground not wanting him to know that he had some type of power over me.

His phone rang and I watched as he answered, his serious facial expression turning into one of worry. He only listened an never uttered a word. He once again had that look which made it obvious he was concerned about something. Any anger or fear I had left towards him instantly vanished at the sight. "What's wrong?"

"Fourie why do you look so distraught? What happened?" Drew speaks up.

"There was a body found at the football fields and since I was the last one to leave they just want to ask some questions." he says slowly, and I can tell he is trying to keep up a calm act but inside he is stressing.

"I was with you. I'll come too." I say, not wanting him to be alone.

I can feel goosebumps prick at my skin and not because I was cold but because we were both there when this murder took place. I remember what I saw which makes everything even more possible.

"No way! You've done enough. Slate you stay with her and make sure she stays put. I can't afford another screw up." his deadly tone replaces the warm tone that he had been using earlier on.

I would be lying if I said that his words didn't hurt me. I give a quick glance in Drew's direction, hoping he'd pick up on my plea for help. Of course being the bright spark that he is, he notices it immediately but refuses to acknowledge it. Instead he goes with, "Sorry AJanae but I think Fourie is right on this one."

He took Falcon's side over mine and indirectly agreed with Falcon's statement that insinuated I was nothing but a screw up. I watched meekly as they both left the room.

I realized that in some way I had come to care for these people whether they were new in my life or not. I also came to the realization that because I cared they now had some kind of power over me an that they could hurt me....and that thought scared me.