Chapter 31: Stop Running

AJanae's POV:

Absolute silence is all to be heard for the moment.

Drew's eyes widen at my question. He tries to sit up but groans when he fails and slouches back down onto the bed. I sigh before standing up and helping him into a sitting position. I sit back down again in my seat and wait impatiently for an answer. He frowns and scratches the side of his neck as if in thought.

"Well?" I ask, desperately seeking an answer.

The reason behind my urgency was the fact that he almost died. Drew almost died. I want to know who is responsible. I want to personally make that person pay. I assume it can only be the killer. It is one thing to come after me. It is another to take the lives of people I know but coming after Drew and hurting him was a mistake. No one hurts Drew. Who ever did this to him, who ever put him in this hospital, who ever tried to kill him, will pay.

"I..." he trails off as frown lines make their way onto his forehead because he was thinking so deeply.

"Drew please. This is really important to me. I have to know." I whisper, wishing for the answer.

"That's just the thing..." he pauses. "I...I can't remember." he says in a shaky voice but I could tell he was telling the complete truth.

I lean forward in my seat, "What do you mean that you don't remember who attacked you?" I question.

He closes his eyes and sighs aloud before opening them again to look at me, "All I remember is the doorbell ringing because it woke me up from my sleep. Then next thing I know you're in front of me and you're telling me to focus on you. The ambulance came and I don't remember anything in between that."

I frown at his words, "So you're telling me that you have no recollection of who rang the doorbell and tried to kill you?" I ask, unbelieving.

"AJanae do you think if I really remembered that I'd keep it from you? You have to believe me. I can't recall anything. It's the truth." he says quietly but genuinely. I feel guilty for even doubting him when clearly he means what he says.

I nod my head in understanding mixed with confusion, "I believe you Drew. I just want to know why you can't remember."

"Short term memory loss." I glance up at the doctor when he walks in aridly to hear my words and answer them for me. He turns his attention to me, "He lost a lot of blood. It's normal for him to experience memory loss. Over time he will begin to remember bits and pieces but you need to give him space." the doctors says sternly.

I already considered what the doctor had said before he even said it. I threw the short term memory loss out the window because Drew still recalled seeing me which happened after he was attacked. The only thing missing from his memories is when he was attacked, which can't be just a simple coincidence. This was planned.

"Maybe." I mumble and glance to Drew to find that he was already glancing at me with a mirrored expression. Clearly he's come across what I had just realized. Something was done to him to make him forget. All that's left to discover is what exactly happened to him to make him forget.

The doctor moves his attention back to Drew, "Glad to see you're awake. Soon you'll be up and about." he smiles warmly at Drew. "You had this one over here very worried back then." he motions to me and Drew snaps his head towards me with a knowing smirk.

"Well doc, in actual fact, she tends to worry about me a lot ." he gives that lop sided smile that I think we all knew to well by now. I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't been wishing to see it again.

"I noticed." the doctor decides to join in on the teasing. I glower at Drew in return before hearing the doctor whisper to Drew, "She's a special girly. Better hold onto that one." he says and then winks at me before exiting the room.