Chapter 28: Curiosity Killed The Cat

AJanae's POV:

(Play music)

I pace slowly in my steps to my next class not even bothering with time or punctuality because I couldn't care less. I pass the corridors and empty hallways as most shuffle into the classes a feeling of emptiness and loneliness strikes my heart.

I walk quickly past the area I forbid myself from going near and as I keep telling myself to look away but I fail. I twist my head to take in the sight. A picture right at the foot of the locker surrounded by candles with wording did not take me by surprise. I had expected this much seeing as it had been here for the past week. The only difference was that the number in loving words and pictures had increased.

Why I can't just walk past without stopping every time? I haven't been sleeping since the incident and his eyes haunt me in my nightmares. Those eyes that were once full of life torments me to the core.

I just stood aside helplessly and watched him die. I let him die.

'We miss you Logan Stode. You were the best brother a sister could ask for.' I always read over that same letter taped to his locker and it always manages to bring tears to my eyes, but I blink them away. I move my eyes to his picture beneath the words to view the most recent photo of him. The flame of the first candle, put up by none other than his sister, catches my attention as it begins to burn out. It had been burning for the past few days and now it was finally succumbing to the end just as Logan had.

Soon all the candles would burn out just as this one is doing. The proof is around the corner judging by the dimming of each candle as days pass by agonizingly slow. Gran had insisted that I stay home after everything that happened but I insisted that I was fine. I have barely survived this week because guilt and remorse consumes my every action, every word and my every thought. All I can think about is his voice and how he had begged me to save him, but I let him down.

A clashing sound claims my attention and as I turn around I see the football helmet falling to the ground. "AJanae." I hear a voice, recognizable and easily familiar, but it's been a while since we last spoke seeing as I had been avoiding him along with Drew and Dean. It was just too difficult to look them in the eye after what happened.

I squeeze my eyes shut for a brief second as I take in a deep breath preparing me for this next conversation that I was not entirely ready for. I open my eyes again and turn to him. "Falcon." I whisper.

Before I can even say anything more I am pulled into a bone crushing hug, "I missed you." he simply says into my hair as he rests his chin on top of my head. There's no questions or lectures and for that I express my gratitude by allowing him to embrace me. I needed the comfort although I didn't want it.

There's so much I want to say to him in that moment but when I try nothing comes out. I gulp back the way I feel and simply wrap my arms around him and bring him closer to me as I bury my face into his chest feeling broken.

I feel him tense for a brief second as if not expecting my actions before he slowly begins to relax again. "I haven't seen you all week. I was worried." he admits.

He was worried about me?

I want to explain but when I try to my words come out with no control so instead I blurt out, "I'm sorry."

He releases me and takes a step back as if contemplating what I had just said. "For what?" he asks, but deep down he knows as well as I do what it is I am apologizing for.  I can't meet his intense stare so I break it and glance back to the picture of Logan on his sister's locker. Logan wasn't in Morrow Bay High school but most of the students knew who he was and besides his sister attended our school.