Chapter 36: Becoming the Monster

AJanae's POV:

"Hold still already AJanae!" Maleaka nags incessantly as she applies the makeup foundation to my face.

I glower at her from beneath my eyelashes as she coats them with another layer of mascara, "I told you that I didn't want to go overboard with this. I prefer simple over fancy."

Dunean laughs from beside us as she puts her dark hair up into a messy bun and with her blue eyes and pale complexion she's bound to steal the eye of the dance floor. I wince just having to think about attending the prom and it doesn't help that I'm dateless and not wanted in this town.

"Well I prefer glitzy over simple. Honest to god AJanae I was going to go with your wish and keep it simple but you just have such beautiful features that I couldn't resist." Maleaka tells me with a bright smile that I simply cannot crush because I'm too soft for that.

I shake my head in return as my eyes scan Maleaka's squeaky clean house. It's obvious that her family is of wealthy decent and that's just judging by her fancy English cabinet filled with pearls and other valuables and not judging by the two story mansion.

Of course she was rich, but even her riches couldn't compare to that of Drew's. His home cannot even be classified as a house. His home isn't just a mansion, it's like a palace filled with endless rooms and luxuries that not many, if none, have.

"You know we still need to find you a dress seeing as you didn't like any of the ones we showed you." Dunean states her thoughts aloud as she looks at me and for some reason I trust baby blue eyes herself. There's something about her that is safe and deserves trust and reverence. She's been nothing but honest and kind...that cannot be said about everyone I've met in this town, including myself.

"Should have went with black and sleek." Maleaka interrupts with a look of concentration on her face as she finishes up my make up, "All done. There. Perfect and as natural as possible just as promised."

She moves past me and gestures to the gold oval shaped mirror decorated in gems. I check the mirror and even I'd have to admit that she kept her promise to keep it natural. I was thinking through the worst possible scenarios to how this might end and the one I feared most would be that she dolled me up so much that I wouldn't be able to recognize myself.

Thank goodness she stayed true to her word.

I, in my sitting form, look up at Maleaka and give her a grateful smile, "Thank you. I was scared that you'd plaster so much make up on that I'd be a walking Barbie. What you did looks nice."

Maleaka grins in return and inspects my appearance a final time, "God AJanae, you really are a stunning person. Frankly I'm quite jealous."

Dunean nods, agreeing, as she too observes me intently.

I do not particularly favour attention and Dunean picks up on this quickly as she is fast to change the subject, "So I'm thinking we leave your natural curls as are. Maybe just clip it back and leave a few curls forward. What do you think?" she asks me with a wink because she knows she just spared me from Maleaka going on about how I look.

I laugh and shake my head, "You two are the experts." I say, giving them the sign that they were free to do what they wanted with my hair. I couldn't really be bothered. All I wanted was for this night to end. If it weren't for Devon then I'd not be going in the first place.

"You okay?" Dunean asks and elbows me gently in the side.

I nod, quickly putting my walls back into place, "Of course." I feign a smile. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You just seem off." Maleaka adds, "Did something happen earlier today at the mall when you ran off?"

I shake my head, feigning ignorance, "No. Sorry, I just have so much on my mind is all." When they both still seem skeptical I quickly dismiss the topic and start another that I know will capture their attention, "Besides I do not even have anything to wear."