Chapter 18: Just Survivable

AJanae's POV:

 My hands are shaking as I stare down at my phone.

If I knew that it was Mark calling then I wouldn't have answered, but I did answer. He never even had the decency to speak back. I try to hate him with everything in me, but it's impossible, because here I sit worrying about his safety. He'd only call me out of desperation, I was sure of that. The question remains, what made him go to full lengths and decide to phone me over all the people he had in his life?

Why can't he just stay away from me? Didn't he know how hard everything was for me already?

My emotions are constantly changing from sadness that Falcon caused me to anger that Mark had just caused me.I wanted him to speak to me.  I wanted to hear his voice, he got to hear mine, it was only a fair trade, but of course Mark never cared much for rules or fairness.

I thought he had deleted my number from his phone so how on earth did he get it again? I know I am not mad that Mark phoned me. I want that to be the reason but I know it's not. I am mad because he had the audacity to call me and then not even utter a word to me after he broke me in every single way possible and yet...

I still love him.

I have tried to out rule my own feelings, but the feelings I have for him never seem to leave. It enrages me because I shouldn't still love him. I was pathetic for it and it was a part of me that I hated.

I am alerted of an incoming call as my phone begins to ring once again. Expecting it to be Mark, I answer, ready to tell him off but then I see that it's an unknown number. "Hello." I answer and there is silence on the other side of the phone. I know it's not Mark because I can hear breathing on the other end that didn't match Mark's.

I immediately hang up in a panic as I realize exactly what's going on. It's times like these when the abuse I endured was worth it, because it taught me how to pick up on danger and that's exactly what I was in now...

Danger

I stand up in a hurry and take in my surroundings, looking for the best place to go unnoticed. There was no time to rush back to the car because the person would get here before I get there and things wouldn't end well.

The fact of the matter was that I was being tracked down. 

Who ever called me wasn't calling to talk, they were calling to get my exact current location which also meant that they were close and I didn't have any time to spare. By answering that call I have signed my own death sentence.

I can't even call for help because if I used my phone then I was giving up more information.

There aren't any adequate places to hide, but that was expected since I was only surrounded by sand. I had to make best of every location so I sprint towards the peer, hoping that if I hid under it behind one of the supporting pillars that I won't be seen.

I crouch down and lean my head against the pillar and try to minimize my breathing and be quiet. I don't squirm even though I want to panic. I know how to handle myself in this kind of situation. I have been trained for a moment like this, except I never thought I'd have to use my training.

I am terrified but I know that the rational thing to do is remain calm for my own sake. I want to call for help but who'd I call? The only person that I can think of is the one that hates me.

I want to call Falcon because I know he'll save me. He hasn't failed me yet and although I don't want to admit it, the truth was that he had earned all my trust and I would drop everything for him if he'd ever need me.