Preface(part 2)

Preface(part 2)

15 years later...

I watched as the coffin was lowered into the ground before me. I took a step forward and grabbed a handful of white petals from the basket and tossed it down. The petals fluttered in the wind before finally settling on the coffin. White had always been her favourite colour for as long as I could remember.

I thought that I could remain strong for Gran and for everyone who had known my mother, and for a while I had managed to keep everything together, until today. Some say the death is worse than the funeral and some vice verse and for me they were both tragic, but only at the funeral does your mind actually start believing it. Gran didn't come forth and take petals to toss and I understood that it was just too difficult for her. She had been crying non stop since the death and I had been trying to be everything my mother was to her but it was an impossible task because she was irreplaceable.

My eyes wandered to the new hole being filled with soil to patch up the grave. This was the part I dreaded most because this is when reality set in. I wanted to cry, to turn away, but I couldn't, at least not while so many heartbroken people stood here, so I forced myself to watch and gulped back any threatening tears.

"It's okay to cry Age." I heard his whisper before I was embraced into his arms. 

The last thing I wanted was for anyone to see me broken or weak. This is not what I wanted. I needed to be able to be strong so those around me didn't have to be. I didn't want pity or sympathy, all I wanted was courage, but with the warm comfort he was offering he was making it ten times harder for me not to just break down and cry.

"AJanae I'm sorry." he whispered into my ear, still embracing me.

"Brad, please don't." I whispered back weakly, close to tears. I couldn't stand to see that coffin being buried because that meant that there was no hope, she was really gone, and now I even had proof if my mind tried to deceive me otherwise. I turned my gaze slightly to see how my gran was doing and she was sobbing.

"You don't have to hide. Let yourself feel." he spoke again and tightened his embrace on me.

"I know that but I have to be strong." I replied back softly and turned my eyes to Gran again and he followed my gaze.

"You don't have to be strong for her AJanae. She is mourning and moving on and if you don't go through the same then you will never be able to enter the healing process that comes afterwards." he informed me.

I knew he was right but I didn't want to admit it so I gently pushed out of his embrace. "I can't Brad. Please understand." I quickly reached up to wipe a stray tear before he or anyone else noticed. 

"But Age-"

"I'm fine." I quickly cut him off from speaking any further. I couldn't help but feel that this was all wrong. This isn't supposed to be Brad comforting me, it's supposed to be him. None of this was right. Before I could stop the words from leaving my mouth, I had already asked the question, "Brad where is he?"

"Age..." he hesitated as if not sure on how to reply. "He didn't want to come." 

I just nodded my head and tried to blink away the tears now forming in my eyes. He was suppose to be here. I needed him most right now and he didn't even bother showing up and it made the funeral so much more intense for me to go through. 

"Age he is just-" 

"I guess it makes sense." I whispered. "I mean after everything that happened I don't blame him for not being here today. I...I just thought that maybe he would put our differences aside and be here for me. I guess I was wrong."