Chapter 23: Some What Friends?

AJanae's POV:

"Gran I don't ask a lot, you know that, but now I need answers. All I want to know is the reason why you're hiding things from me?" I frown as I ask, feeling some what betrayed in a sense.

She sighs as she takes a seat next to me on the grass in the warmth of the sun. Our position was under our oak tree and overlooking the fish pond. "AJanae I hide things to protect you. I know it's difficult to understand but I'd never do anything to put you in harms way, but to live up to that I have to keep some secrets. You will never be able to understand." she puts her wrinkly hand on mine from the ages, only making me think of the limited time she might have left.

"Then make me understand." I say gently and enclose her hand in both of mine. I lover her so much, but it hurts me when she doesn't trust me enough to tell me what ever it is that she was keeping from me.

"Love I can't. Please try to see where I am coming from. It goes beyond just secrecy, it's more than that. It runs deeper, its not just a mystery..." she trails off. "It is history."

I am not about to lose my temper with her like the last time I tried to have this conversation. I barely patched things up since then. I wasn't about to start a feud with the only relative I had left yet again. I loved her too much to make this all about me.

I have been tempted to ask her more about the 'Never Not Once' saying my father and mother often used. How ever I don't, aware that my gran was one intelligent elder and she'd either silently express her concern for me or she'd grow sceptical. This is why I decide to let the matter drop for now until the right time came, if it ever came.

I nod, trying to understand, "I love you Gran." I tell her and then let go of her hands and get up, but not before hearing her say 'I love you too' back. I smile to myself, grateful I still had family in my life.

I proceeded to my room and flopped down on to my bed. It was weekend and I had made no plans to go out. All I wanted, or more like required, was some rest. I hadn't had the best week after Drew fessed up. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for him.

It felt as if my every moment was being watched. I found myself constantly looking twice over my shoulder to see if I was being followed. Paranoia had got to me. The feeling 'safe' was one I had never truly experienced in my entire existence. The truth in the matter was simple, I always felt I was in danger no matter with whom I was or whether I trusted them.

The news that Drew told didn't help in the matter. I know I have Drew yet I still can't help but feel completely alone. It was clear that something drastic was about to happen. As pathetic as it may sound to believe in a simple letter, when odds were it was merely a prank, I believed fully in that letter. I could feel it within me, what ever was going to happen, it was just a matter of time before it happens and there's not much I can do to stop it but rely on natural instincts.

Dean being his 'unobservant and oblivious to everything around him except Maleaka' self has not picked up on my extra cautiousness at all. It is obvious Falcon has with the peculiar glances he keeps giving me. Oddly enough he had been acting strange too. I didn't see him as the overprotective type, but lately he wouldn't leave my side as if he knew what I knew. He stuck by my side more than he did with his own girlfriend. You'd think he was dating me. When ever someone other than Drew or Dean spoke to me he'd always have something rude to say back to the person to get them to leave. When I asked him what his problem was, all he did was shrug. Drew on the other hand repeatedly asked me how I was doing while I did the same for him. He is all I have right now. I leaned on him for support as he did with me. I had begged him not to say anything to anyone and with much argument he finally agreed on my terms.