17

The sounds of screams and crashes echoed the dimly lit hallway. Y/n was walking beside the man in the suit - she seemed to be older now, maybe in her teens. Y/n was Hydra's secret superstar. She'd been with them for several years now, but they'd never sent her out on a mission. She was too young. So most of her days were spent training and being fed false information about the outside world. 

Y/n trailed behind the man in the suit a little as they walked, staring with curious eyes through the windows of rooms. Every room was different. However, y/n stopped at one of the many windows, making her way closer so she could try and get a better look. The window had been frosted over with ice from the inside, but y/n could make out a figure of what seemed to be a person. Their hand was outstretched toward the window as if reaching for help. But, as y/n watched, she realised the person wasn't moving... They were frozen in place. Y/n's eyes widened in shock, opening her mouth and glancing around as if she was ready to tell someone. But she was stopped short by a hand on her back, slowly continuing to guide her down the hallway. It was the man in the suit. "You see, sweetheart, some people's bodies couldn't handle the powers they were given." He hummed in a calm tone. "It's unfortunate, I know. But don't worry, we'll hold a proper funeral for them." He lied. Of course they weren't given a funeral - these test subjects were purely for y/n to mimic and store their powers. But she wasn't told that. Y/n nodded naively as they walked, hugging herself a little for comfort. "That's good." She murmured.

They soon arrived at a door right at the end of the hallway. It was further away from the other rooms, but the screams and crashes weren't stopping. The man in the suit smiled warmly as he stopped at the door, glancing back at y/n. "This person has just been given their powers, so they'll be awake soon. Don't be afraid when they do, princess. It's just like last time. Once you mimic their powers you can leave." He said reassuringly to the obviously nervous girl. The man in suit entered a code in to a keypad, and the room door popped open. Y/n hesitated for a moment, slowly stepping toward the open door. The man in the suit set a hand on her back once again, gently pushing her in to the room. The door locked behind y/n, and she was left alone in a dimly lit room that seemed more like a cell. She blinked a few times in attempt to adjust to the light, which was when she spotted an unconscious man in the corner of the room. Usually the people she mimicked were already awake and suffering with their powers, what was different about him? Why was his room so far from everyone else's?

Y/n curiously stepped closer toward the man, her head tilting to the side as she carefully nudged him with her boot. Hoping to wake him up - and god, waking him up she did. The man suddenly snapped awake, screaming out in pure pain as his skin begun to glow. He felt like his veins were on fire, like everything was burning from the inside out - and well, it was. He let out a blood-curdling scream as his whole body suddenly set on fire, his eyes glowing a pure white. Y/n jumped at the sudden situation, her powers acting in defense and causing her to teleport to the other side of the room from the man. The man slowly pushed himself up, staring at his hands in pure terror. He looked around and noticed y/n stood in the corner of the room, beginning to hurry toward her, struggling with every step. "Help me!" He cried out loudly. He could feel every flame, every ember, burning him from the inside out. Y/n was frozen in terror at the sight of the man, watching as he left a trail of fire with every step he took. "How?!" She asked fear, watching as he struggled to make his way toward her. 

"Mimic his powers, y/n. That's all you're doing, then you can leave." The man in the suit's voice rung out from the intercom.

Y/n listened with tears in her eyes. She was terrified. This man was dying in front of her. His screams were horrifying. The man was only a few feet away from y/n when he crumbled to the floor again, writhing in pain. As he screamed, the flames on and around him became more intense. "Help me! Please!" He yelled. Y/n reached a hand out toward the man and focused as hard as possible on the man, closing her eyes and visualising herself  with the ability to control the fire. That was when her hand suddenly set on fire, causing her to scream out in pain as the fire singed her skin. She had mimicked his powers, but it was far from pleasant. Y/n cried out, shaking her hand in attempt to put the fire out, but it just sent even more flames out to the already burning room. Y/n watched as her other hand set on fire too, her eyes wide in terror. She raced over to the door, knocking on it as hard as possible. "Let me out!" Y/n cried, but the man in the suit wasn't there. He was talking to some guards down the hall. 

For five minutes, y/n screamed and pounded on the door, her whole body on fire and burning. The whole room was engulfed with flames, but the man's screaming had stopped. He was gone, completely burnt alive. The door to the room suddenly opened and y/n fell to the ground. She wheezed from all the smoke she'd inhaled, writhing on the ground as she was blasted with a fire extinguisher. Completely singed. The man in the suit knelt down on the ground, taking y/n into his arms and holding her close. "We've got you, we've got you." He murmured as y/n cried in to his shoulder. 

Y/n suddenly jolted awake with a scream. She felt as if she couldn't breath, gasping air in and out as she raced out of her room. She felt as if her skin was still on fire, she could still smell the smoke. Y/n hurried in to the bathroom, turning on the cold water as much as if could go before she shoved her hands under it. God, she hadn't had a nightmare as vivid as that in a while. Y/n shook out of pure fear, her cheeks stained with tears as she kept her hands under the freezing water. 

Bucky was already awake, having given up on sleep after another nightmare. He'd heard y/n's scream from where he was sat in the kitchen and decided to investigate the noise. His eyes wide at the sight of how terrified she was. Why was she running her hands under water? 

"Y/n...?" He asked in a gentle tone, leaning against the doorway of the bathroom.