111

"Steve, there's a guy heading your way!" Natasha called out over her earpiece.

The team were busy trying to locate the one that had the bioweapon. They knew one of them had it, but they didn't know who. Y/n had accidentally acted as a perfect diversion to their plan. Her attempt to kill Rumlow left Steve distracted, meaning that there were only three people in the team to run away from. And, even with Steve back in action, the team were outnumbered. Four against ten. Ten armed men in heavy armour, with one carrying a bioweapon that could wipe out the whole city. And, to add to it all, they'd all spread out in one of the busiest marketplaces in Lagos. This mission definitely wasn't an easy one. 

Nat was busy chasing after one of the men that had had managed to slip away from her. She weaved through the busy crowd, a look of focus plastered across her face. Her gun was held out in front of her as she prepared to shoot the man, yet with all of the people around she didn't trust herself to take the shot. This had to be the guy with the bioweapon. He had been so heavily protected by the other men, there was no way that it couldn't be him. "Be careful, I think he has the bioweapon!" Natasha yelled, apologising as she accidentally knocked a basket out of someone's hands. She jumped over the mess she'd caused with ease, continuing to run as fast as she could. If she wasn't in a mission, she would've helped pick everything back up, but now wasn't the time. 

Steve turned around as he heard Natasha over the earpiece, his eyes wide as he scanned his surroundings for the guy. It wasn't hard to spot him. He had heavy body armour on. But stopping him was another story. There were so many people around, Steve had to be careful. The last thing he needed was to accidentally hit someone with his shield. "Sam, are you free?" He asked, joining Natasha in the chase. 

"Already on it." Sam chimed in before Steve could even finish speaking. 

In a matter of seconds, Sam flew down from the sky, aiming straight for the man. He caught the man in a powerful kick, launching him into one of the nearby stalls. Natasha rolled her eyes at the sight, struggling to catch her breath as she made her way toward the man. "You couldn't have done that sooner?" She sighed. If it was going to be that easy, she would've called out for Sam ages ago. But no, she had to run around the whole marketplace. Nat regained her composure before Sam could respond, a deep frown appearing on her face as she yanked the mask off of the man. "Where's the bioweapon?" She commanded loudly. Her gun was pressed hard against his forehead, it was most definitely going to leave a mark.

But, the man just seemed to smile. A sick, mocking smile. "I haven't got it." He hummed, keeping direct eye contact with Natasha in attempt to intimidate her. The man slowly begun to reach into his pockets, but his hands were quickly kicked away by Natasha. "Go ahead, check my pockets! I'm telling the truth. I don't have it." He said confidently. The man held his hands up in surrender, his mocking smile staying plastered across his face. 

"Don't act like you have a say in this." Natasha huffed, keeping the gun pressed hard into his forehead. Her glare stayed trained on the man as she checked his pockets. There was no way she was going to let him intimidate her. She could kill him in seconds. Natasha shoved her hand into every single pocket. She checked every zipper, every compartment, even his boots. But the man was right. There was nothing there. Nothing at all. He didn't even have any weapons on him. 

Nat's eyes widened in surprise, slowly stepping back from the smirking man. She was wrong. Usually Natasha was never wrong. She seriously thought that he was the one with the bioweapon. All she'd done was waste time. The person with the weapon had probably gotten away by now. "He doesn't have it." Natasha murmured to Steve and Sam, obviously disheartened by it all. This mission had already been a mess, it should've been over by now.

The man's smile just seemed to widen at the disheartened look on Natasha's face. He kept his hands up in surrender, but that didn't stop him from being amused by it all. Rumlow's team all seemed to have the same personalities - they were assholes. "I told you." He cooed in a singsong voice. "How do you feel, hm? You were-"

Natasha's fist suddenly connected with the man's face, knocking him out cold. She sighed, clenching and unclenching her fist to get rid of the pain. "Oops." She hummed calmly, smiling at the amused look on Sam's face. Steve didn't look very impressed, but Nat didn't care. That guy was an asshole. But, before Steve could even begin to speak, the sound of screaming caught everyone's attention.

One of Rumlow's men was stood in the centre of the marketplace, yelling and screaming as he terrorised the civilians. He was holding something up in the air with one hand, whilst the other was waving a gun around at the retreating crowd. As soon as the team arrived, all of his attention was put onto them. "Get back! Get the fuck back!" He yelled, but of course the team didn't listen. The man begun to get desperate, taking a few steps back. The rest of his team had been taken out. It was just him. He suddenly fired a few gunshots into the sky, causing even more screams. The man shook the glowing vial that he was holding up in the air, his eyes wide with adrenaline. This was his last resort. "I have the bioweapon and I'm not afraid to drop it!"

That caused the team to freeze. 

Steve slowly held his hands up in surrender, his eyes wide as he watched the man. If he dropped that vial, he could wipe out the entire city. "Hey, you don't need to do this." Steve started, making sure he had quick access to his shield if the man begun to shoot. "Just hand the vial over, and this can all come to an end. I can't promise you anything once you're out of our hands. But if you hand the vial to me, you won't get hurt." He said slowly, outstretching a hand for the man to put the vial in. "Look around. Do you really want to hurt all of these people? Innocent people? Not to mention, you'll be dead too. Is it really worth it?" Steve continued to negotiate, speaking slowly and clearly. One wrong move, and this whole city was gone, including them. He was playing a dangerous game, but he knew he had to do something. These people relied on them to be the superheroes they needed, he couldn't just let them down. However, as he spoke, Steve seemed to have his eye on something behind the man.

It was Wanda.

She slowly crept up behind the man, calculating each and every step. Her adrenaline was running high, but she knew she was the only person that could stop this man. He had his eye on the rest of the team, but not her. Every movement had to be silent and careful or otherwise she'd risk getting caught. It was terrifying. Wanda held her breath, waiting for the correct moment to blast him. But, just before she could take her final step, the man turned around to face her. Wanda didn't even take another second to think before she blasted the man with as much energy as she could. She didn't think about it. She was just working off of instinct. He was going to shoot her. 

The blast sent the man and the bioweapon flying into the air. It was almost as if it was in slow motion as the vial flew freely, beginning to fall to the ground once the blast was over. Shit. The whole team begun to sprint toward the vial, all yelling out different things. That vial couldn't touch the ground. If it touched the ground, they were all gone. 

Steve jumped for the vial, landing on his stomach on the ground. His eyes were scrunched shut, half expecting everything to blow up. But it didn't. He'd caught the vial inches before it hit the ground. A wave of relief washed over him, rolling to lay on his back with a happy laugh. "Oh my god..." He smiled, finally able to begin to catch his breath. The mission was finally over. It was the messiest mission they'd had in a long while, and it definitely wasn't the same without any jokes. But it was over now. Or at least Steve thought that it was over.

"Nat? I'm not feeling too hot..." 

Y/n.