Chapter 48

Klaus was pleased with how the night went on.

Esmeray, with her sneakily accumulated wealth, had made a reservation at one of the finer restaurants in the French Quarter that she'd been wanting to try. Putting on one of her nicest dresses, she'd gone to Klaus's room, announcing that a cab would be waiting to take them to the restaurant.

"You've certainly outdone yourself," he said when he found the staff at the restaurant had given them the outdoor pavilion all to themselves. He was even more pleased when a large cart of different wines was brought out for him to choose one he liked. He smirked at the woman across from him, who grinned back and tucked her hands under her chin.

"Don't say I don't spoil you," she chirped.

Klaus made a big show of holding up the fancy looking forks that were set out for them. He then poured himself a glass of wine and offered it for her to taste, but she shook her head, which made him shrug. "I rather enjoy the perks of being the boyfriend of the Queen of the Quarter, even if she herself won't indulge in all the finer things life has to offer."

Esmeray blushed. "'Queen of the Quarter' has a decent ring to it. As for the wine— you enjoy. I still don't see the fun in drinking."

"Whatever shall we do when St. Anne's Church opens up once more?" asked Klaus curiously.

"I won't be taking communion, I'm not Catholic. I can attend a service for the sake of supporting the community, but I won't pretend to be a holy child when I'm not. No wine for me."

"Do you still fear that your drinks will be poisoned?"

"Not so much anymore. It's no secret why you always drink from my beverages before I do."

"Oh?"

"You've been doing it since we saw each other again, at the plantation house. Anytime we sit at dinner, you'll be next to me and you'll drink from my glass as soon as it's poured for me, to check if it's poisoned. No one would dare poison me with you at my side."

This time, Klaus was the one that blushed. "It's been an increasing concern now that you rule the Quarter. Someone might get it in their head to try and execute the queen."

"It's still so bizarre. I ended up in this position after residing in New Orleans for over a year, without making any meaningful contributions. Suddenly, everyone trusts me to be their leader. A lot has changed since I first landed in the airport with Anya. It's been... awhile, since everything transpired. Hayley's moving along in her pregnancy, the baby is growing strong, and there's a semblance of peace, even though there's still chaos to be managed on the witch end."

"Well, from an insider's perspective, I think it's becoming true peace, not merely a semblance. You've done a phenomenal job at keeping the vampires from rousting the witches anymore. Davina tells you they've been practicing magic and you haven't restricted them."

"As much as I dislike them, they are also vital members of the community. We can't cast them aside. I want it to be like... like it should have been a thousand years ago." She shifted awkwardly in her seat. "I don't even know if I can vividly imagine having this kind of peace in that time. But it's a nice thing to dream of."

He took her hand from across the table. "You are brokering a peace that would not have been possible when we were in our youth. You, my little werewitch, have succeeded at something that your parents never dreamed of, because it did not seem plausible. You are becoming the leader you were born to be."

She cast him a grateful smile, squeezing his hand in return. "I just wish they were here to see it, Klaus. I wish my mother could see me among other witches. I wish my father could have witnessed what I did at the Compound. All they ever wanted was for me to control both sides of myself and be happy. I won't ever see them again, unless it's in memories. They were but a regular wolf and witch. Even if they were on the Other Side, they have since found peace."