CHAPTER 28

ALLIE

"Hi. You need anything?" tanong ko sa kanya.

He smiled. "Hi, Allison."

I didn't expect it. How did the famous Brent Buenaventura know my name?

"You know me? You're not from my class, are you?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm not. I just know your name."

"Oh, alright." I tried to sound uninterested. "See you. I have to go."

He moved over as I opened the car door.

"Wait!" he said. "Can you...like... give me... you know... a ride? I didn't bring my car today. If you don't mind."

How smooth. Did he actually think I'd believe it wasn't planned at all?

I was about to tell him to go and get a cab instead but I realized that it wouldn't be a nice thing to do. I am better than that.

"Jump in then."

"Great. Thanks, Allison."

Pumasok na ako sa kotse at ganun din ang ginawa niya. Sa front seat siya umupo.

"My name is Brent." he said while fastening the seatbelt.

"I know. You are quite famous." I said as I started the car.

"Oh."

"So how did you know my name?" I asked.

"You're quite popular too. You have to know that I read a lot. And there's this certain newsletter that featured the company's CEO's son. That's my favorite reading material."

"Oh come on." I said. Hindi ko napigilang magsmile. There's something about Brent's voice that draws me to him, not to mention the silly things he's saying. "So I should presume you're into business and stuff."

"No, not really." he said. "I just saw it lying around Dad's office and your handsome face on the cover told me it's worth picking up and reading."

"Was it, then?"

"It was. It is, still. I keep on reading it. Kaya lang, very limited lang ang information about Allison Stephen Alvarez Ibarra na mababasa doon. Memorize ko na nga lahat eh."

He laughed. I did too.

"There's not much. What you see is what you get."

"I don't think so. I'd like to know more."

There was silence. Mukhang naubusan na si Brent ng pwede naming pagusapang topic. But I still wanted to talk to him. I don't know. Maybe because I yearn for someone to talk to, or maybe because it's him, the university heartthrob Brent Buenaventura.

"Where will I drop you?"

He did not answer. I looked sideways and I saw him looking out of the window, his hands were clasped in an uneasy manner.

"Allison?" he said after a while.

"Hmmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah. Go ahead."

"How does it feel?"

"Feel what?"

"To make love with a guy."

I stopped the car and looked at him.

"Excuse me?" Medyo mataas ang pitch ko. I did not expect that he'd ask that. "Why did you ask me that?"

Once again, he did not answer. I sensed sadness when his eyes shifted from me to the view outside. That's when I realized that whatever his reason for asking me that question was, it was not to insult or taunt me.