Chapter 49

The next day was pure chaos.

Elijah had figured out Davina's cryptic drawings. Together, they formed a portrait of Celeste Dubois, apparently the great evil that was coming.

"The Italians called them strega," said Elijah, looking through a book of witches through the ages as he sat Klaus, Rebekah, Hayley, and Esmeray down to discuss his findings. "The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

"Who is not tucked in safe and sound down the hall, under our protection," said Klaus, gesturing toward himself and Esmeray before looking back at the drawing that Elijah had laid out on the table. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes," said Elijah. "Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?"

Klaus shrugged. "Why does any witch do anything?"

"I don't know," said Esmeray worriedly. "It's like I've told you both before, don't ignore a witch's premonition. This kind of stuff is different than visions. Visions can be interpreted multiple ways. This? This is all truth. If she's sensing chaos while drawing to the point where she had to make pieces of the portrait at separate times, you can bet that this means evil. I know it's not what you want to hear, Elijah, but something's not right. I need to go ask Davina about this and go talk to Sophie after. I think she might know something."

"Why would Sophie Deveraux know anything?" inquired Elijah.

"Because yesterday she was talking about becoming an elder by consecrating Celeste's bones and taking their magic. I told her hell no when she asked me to help her find her body. Maybe she's plotting something."

"I wouldn't doubt it," said Klaus. None of them noticed how uncomfortable Hayley suddenly looked. "That whelp is constantly sticking her nose where it doesn't belong."

Esmeray patted his thigh. "Don't kill her yet, though, we might still need her. Let me go see Davina."

Marcel, apparently, had had the same idea. Thus, when Esmeray walked in, she was greeted with the sight of Davina throwing up dirt.

"Oh, shit," she said, rushing forward and clapping her on the back to help her get it out. "What the—?"

The entire French Quarter started to shake violently, and Esmeray had to struggle to not fall as she tried to help Davina get all the dirt out. As soon as the shaking stopped, Davina ceased coughing, but immediately slumped back, looking feverish. "Marcel," she said, looking at the vampire for help. "I don't feel... I don't feel good..."

"Something's wrong with her," Esmeray said to Klaus after Elijah had gone to get Sophie. "And unfortunately, I think I know what it is. The Harvest can't be delayed any longer."

Sophie confirmed this when, after her arrival, they felt a second earthquake. Hayley was not in the room. Apparently, she had confessed to Elijah what she'd done, and he had been very cross with her.

"Was that Davina?" asked Sophie in shock when the shaking subsided.

Klaus gave a cheeky smile. "Charming little habit she's developed."

"And the earthquake I felt today?"

"Also Davina," said Rebekah. "And, she's taken to vomiting dirt."