38| NATE COMFORTS MYRA

[ Chapter Thirty-Eight ]

❝How am I supposed to be excited when my heart's in pain?❞

[Egg MacGuffin]

>> >> >>

Myra found Nate downstairs by all the holding cells, having just deposited the mummy in one.

"Myra!" Nate smiled at her as he turned away from the holding cell and walked over to her, "So, you're finally done ignoring me."

Myra rolled her eyes, "If it makes you feel better, I was ignoring everyone."

"I guess." Nate shrugged, though Myra could tell he was just messing with her and wasn't really mad.

That's what Myra loved about their friendship. They never were mad at the other for too long and even if they were there was usually an easy fix to ease their anger.

"I don't really want to talk about it though. The reason I'm here is because Zari told me to stop ignoring you." Myra then smirked at him, "You know you need to tell Zari you like her because that display earlier was just not it."

"Was it really that awkward?" Nate asked, looking shocked.

Myra rolled her eyes at his obliviousness.

"You're not serious right?" Myra asked, "It was probably the most awkward experience. And yes, I did tell Zari it was awkward too."

"But does she want to be with me?" Nate asked.

"You never know until you ask her, Nate." Myra said crossing her arms, "And no, I am not going to play matchmaker, because I definitely don't feel in the mood for it."

"Have you talked to Charlie since the breakup?" Nate asked her.

"If you really think I'm up for that, then you don't know me at all." Myra said in a slightly teasing voice but she was being serious, "The answer is no. No, I haven't."

"I mean if you're not ready, it's fine." Nate told her.

"I feel like the breakup was inevitable, if I'm being honest." Myra admitted.

"You can't be serious, Myr." Nate said, sounding shocked.

"I mean I didn't think we were like soulmates or anything, is what I mean." Myra added.

"Do those even exist though?" Nate asked.

"I'm beginning to think they're not." Myra said and then laughed, "I have terrible luck with relationships, don't I?"

"I mean you don't have the best track-record." Nate shrugged.

Myra and Nate burst out laughing at that and Myra was so glad that she had decided to talk to him per Zari's suggestion.

Suddenly Ava's voice came over their comns, "We've got a hit."

Nate and Myra stopped laughing and looked at each other before heading upstairs to where Ava was looking at her screen, "Okay, New York City, 1933, the Adventurer's Society."

"Shut the front door." Nate exclaimed.

"What's the Adventurer's Society?" Zari asked, coming up next to Nate and Myra.

"It's a club for archaeologists and explorers." Nate explained, "It's basically the coolest place in history. Guys this is going to be awesome." He looked at Myra who wasn't reacting, "Seriously, Myra? Not even you."

"How am I supposed to be excited when my heart's in pain?" Myra said dramatically.

"Wow," Nate shook his head at her.

Myra shot him a smile, "I love you though."

"Okay. Nate, you're running point on this one with Zari." Sara said.

"For real?" Nate and Zari asked at the same time.

"Okay, find the fugitive, bring him in. Preferably in one piece." Ava instructed, "Now scram."

Nate and Zari nodded and started to walk away but Nate looked at Myra, "Are you coming?"

"I mean, book club is tonight." Myra said.

"And you've definitely already read the book so you can make it back in time for it, right?" Nate asked.

Myra raised an eyebrow. She had most definitely not read the book already, because even though she usually was very fast at reading, she hadn't felt up to doing much while she was attempting to get over her breakup.

"I'll stay on comns." Myra offered.

"Absolutely not. What kind of help will you be here if we're in the 1930s?" Nate asked.

"Ray will be quarterbacking the mission though and you'll have Charlie and Mick." Myra told him and then whispered, "And I don't want to have to work with Charlie today."

Nate nodded, "Fine, but if we need you-"

"I have a time courier and I'll be there as fast as I can. I promise." Myra told him, "Now go before Sara and Ava get mad."

Myra watched them walk away and back to the ship before she headed to an empty office in order to start reading the book.

>> >> >> 

Word Count: 764

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed! I know it was short but I might post another chapter on Sunday! 

(The gif at the top was made by me. Please do not steal it.)

What did you guys think? 

I love you all and will see you soon with chapter 39.

POSTED ON:

4. 30. 21