Chapter 43

Tony drops the shoe strings he's tying and looks up at you.

"No."

He quickly starts tying his second shoe and you walk over and sit beside him.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I don't know. I didn't want you to think I was weird or something."

"Well, honey, I don't know how to break this to you but I already know you're weird. You not knowing how to bowl has nothing to do with that."

You make him laugh which helps to lighten the mood some.

"I wouldn't have made you come if I'd known. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, I should've said something. But how did you know?"

"Well, it was pretty obvious. I mean, you didn't know how to pay for the game, or why I needed your shoe size, or how to choose a ball. And, you were cranky. You get cranky when you're unsure of yourself."

He laughs.

"I guess you know me pretty well, don't you."

"Mmhmm, I do."

He gives you a kiss on the forehead and a hug.

"So what do you want to do now? Go shopping or something?" He asks.

"Oh no, no, no. We're playing mister. Get up, come on, I'm gonna teach you."

"Teach me?"

"Yup, it's easier than what you think it is. Be right back."

You go to the front desk and ask the man working if you can add bumpers onto your lane. He walks back with you and pulls the bumpers up as you walk over to Tony.

"What's he doing?" He asks.

"He's pulling the bumpers up onto the lane so you don't have to worry about getting any gutter balls."

He looks at you, his face turning red.

"Oh, stop. There's no reason to be embarrassed."

"I'm 62 years old! I shouldn't need them!"

All you can do is laugh, which makes him laugh.

"I told him they were for me, okay? Don't worry about it."

"Whatever you say. I can't believe I'm doing this. You owe me one."

"Whatever you want. Now let's bowl.

You teach Tony how to hold the ball, where to stand, and how to throw the ball.

"Aiming is pretty simple, you want to keep the ball as close to the center arrows as you can."

"Shouldn't I be looking at the pins?"

"You can do that on your second throw if you want, but for now, pay attention to the arrows."

"I get a second try?"

"Yes, you get two throws each frame. There are 10 frames total."

Tony picks up his ball and starts to walk up to throw it, but he freezes.

"You okay?"

He turns back to look at you and then faces the pins again, looking very unsure of himself. You walk up to him to see if he's okay and you see he's sweating profusely.

"What's the matter?"

"I feel like everyone's staring at me."

"Tony, no one is watching you. We are all the way on the end away from everyone else. It's okay, just throw the ball."

You stand there while Tony walks up to the line. He swings and rolls the ball down the lane. It looks to be going pretty straight but at the last second it curves towards the left.

"That's okay, that was really good for your first try."

"You don't have to patronize me."

"I wasn't! You didn't even hit the bumper and got four pins!"

He waits for his ball to return and then stands up again.

"Okay, for this one, you want to hit the pins right in the middle of the bunch, so aim for that and throw it hard."

"Okay."

He walks up to the line and throws the ball much harder than the first time. He turns around and starts to walk away, as if he's given up, but you can see that his aim on this one is much better.

"Tony, look!"

He turns in just enough time to see the ball hit at just the right spot, knocking the rest of the pins down. You jump up and cheer and he turns around with the biggest smile on his face.

"I did it!"

"Yes you did!"

He walks back to you and you give him a high five and a hug.

"See? I told you it was easy."

"Uh-huh. Okay, you're turn."

Tony takes a seat and watches you go over to the ball return. You bend over a little to pick up your ball and hear him catcall you. You turn and laugh at him, seeing him smile and wink at you.

"Are you trying to throw me off my game, mister?"

"I need every advantage I can get."

You laugh as you walk up to the line and in one fluid motion, you swing and throw the ball. The ball hits the pins a little left of center, managing to knock down all but three pins; but they're all split.

"Darn it!"

"How are you supposed to get all of those in one go?"

"I'm not. A pro bowler, maybe, but there's no way I can. I can probably get the two on the right."

You pick your ball up and give it a good throw. You do pick up the two pins but aren't able to get the third.

"Well, Tony, it looks like you're beating me."

"Because I got more pins than you?"

"Yup. You're up again."

You take your turns playing and finish the first game. You won and Tony didn't do so well.

"That's okay, it was only your first time."

"Yea but I wanted to beat you."

"Wanna play again? You might just beat me this time."

"Ah, I don't know."

"Come on, let's play one more."

"Fine, But I want a hot dog first."

"Okay, let's get you a hot dog."