Calm ~27 (S2)

(Published:15/6/2021)

The carriage jolted from side to side as it made its way across the cobbled ground. I gripped onto the quilted seats for dear life. Oh Artemis, what was Kisa going to say? Or do...

Zero sat opposite me, his knees knocking into mine every time the carriage hit a pebble. Could the association really not afford better carriages? His shoulders were stiff, he was sitting bolt upright but his eyes which gazed out the window weren't focused on anything. We were both all too aware of the vampire perched on the roof. Seiren had been ordered by Kaname to come with me though I doubted she would be allowed inside the building.

The bruises around my neck stung even if something so much as brushed against them so I had tied my hair into something the resembled a bun. If there was a hairstyle that could cover my eye bags it would be perfect but at the time, unfortunately walking around with my hair completely covering my face was not an option.

I fiddled with my ring as I looked back at Zero and found he was looking at me with what seemed like a concern in his eyes. He must be sick. Zero didn't know what the word concerned meant. He said nothing. "What are we having, a staring contest? You should know after five years that you can't beat me," I joked but it felt heavy in the air.

"Do you think Kisa will let you go back?" Zero looked out the window again.

"Well I never know what to really expect with her, she doesn't exactly react to these sorts of things lightly."

"If she has some sense she should see that this has nothing to do with the school and it has to do with this Duchess person."

I assumed that Zero knew half the story about Kisa. Yagari hadn't told him the whole story, right? Well, he knew he probably wouldn't be sitting here calmly if he knew...

The carriage came to a sudden stop, nearly making me and Zero crash into eachother. The door swung open and Seiren helped me out even though I didn't need it. It was obvious she didn't like having to follow me everywhere I went. I didn't find it enjoyable either. I pulled my cloak tighter around myself.

"Akari," Kisa's voice rang out from behind. me