Cure for a broken heart

December 2015 / London 

Rosie's POV 

I've been awake for hours, but haven't managed to muster up enough courage to force myself out of bed. My bed, which still has his scent lingering on the unwashed covers. If I shut my eyes tight and close off my hearing, I can almost feel him here with me. The phone has been ringing repeatedly for months, that being the only kind of music to my ears. I haven't even spoke to anyone or left the house unless I was desperate for something which has been rare. I'm simply not in the mood for anything, I just want to hide in this comfort zone I've created for myself. My thoughts have been on him for the past six months, not being able to think of anything else for even a second. My mobile phone rang for the billionth time and usually I'll just watch it ring but for some reason, something made me answer it. 

But this time, it's a video call, I hesitate for a moment then clicked answer to reveal Dave, Richie, Tico and Alec. "Hello.." My weak, unenthusiastic voice echoing down the phone. "Hey honey How you doin?"  The four of them waving at me through the camera making me prick up a tiny smile. A deep heartfelt sigh slips from my lips, I can either lie and say I'm doing great or tell them the truth. "I feel like my heart is broken in half...... crushed..... And I've got nothing to distract me from this pain"  My voice bursting with so many emotions, feeling the tears brimming from my eyes. "Well that's kinda why we called honey" .... "We're doin this charity ball and we just need some musicians to sing and we were wondering if you'd wanna come along and sing, It's in New Jersey at Jon's house..... It might help honey" . So they think that going to Jon's house in New Jersey to pour my heart out in some sad melancholic songs is going to help. That seeing him happy with his wife and kids is going to help. "I don't think that's gonna help Davey... seeing him with his wife and kids.... that's just gonna be a knife to the gut" I could hear familiar voices talking in the background while I waited for him to respond, One voice sounded like Jon but it could have been Richie seeing as he was slightly out of sight. "His wife and kids won't be there, It'll just be him" I was silent for a few minutes while I thought deeply about whether I should do it. "Even if I said yes, there's no way I could afford it"  Yet again, the familiar voices echoed through the background "We'll send our plane out for you.... you won't have to pay for nothin" . They really did think of every little thing, now I literally had no excuses "Alright....Alright..... When is it?" . "It's next week... New Years day, but we were thinking of flying you out here tomorrow, we'll all be staying at Jon's for the week, but you won't see him a whole lot coz he's busy sorting out the ball" . "Can I ask what charity it is? or what it's for? It'll help me with what songs to choose.... I don't wanna be insensitive to anybody"  Waiting patiently as the voices echo in the background before responding. "It's to help bereaved families, some of them have lost husbands, sons, fathers" . We continued talking for a little while longer, mainly about the ball until it was time for them to go. 

In a fit of panic, I jumped up, racing to my cupboard to grab my suitcase, packing up all of my clothes, leaving my wardrobe completely empty. I had every piece of clothing I owned in my suitcase including one of the t-shirts that Jon used to wear everyday, I like wearing it to bed. I know it's weird packing up every little thing I own, but I don't have loads of clothes and it's the safest thing to do, that way I have plenty to choose from for the ball. I grabbed a little bag for the plane, stuffing it with my jewellery, makeup, toiletries, ID, Passport and phone charger. Once that was done I decided to shower then pottered round for the rest of the day before going to sleep seeing as I needed to be up early. 

The next morning, I could feel my heart racing like a galloping horse as I got closer to the steps leading up to the plane. I was just hoping no one was on the plane, so I could simply be alone. The men took my suitcase and I ran up the steps with my little bag, making my way through the tiny front section. I got through to the seating area and it was completely empty apart from a single rose on one of the tables. My heart sank straight away, I know exactly who that was from, it was from Jon. I shuffled along on the seats, taking off my bag and slumping it down on the seat next to me. My hands suddenly had a mind of their own and picked up the beautiful red rose, bringing it to my nose for a deep sniff, taking in the aroma. I opened my bag, grabbing my earphones then slotting the rose in my bag and zipping it up, letting the rose stick out the bag so I can see it. I threw on my earphones, instantly playing some melancholic music to distract me from the hour flight I had ahead of me.