The new show opener

April 1993

Rosie's POV

Rosie's POV

"Damn it!!" The dressing room door slams shut and in walks, Jon, looking really annoyed. I have no idea what could be wrong but I'm sure I'm about to find out. He paces the room, his hands stressing the skin of his neck while he sighs and huffs through the awkward silence. Richie, Dave, Tico, Alex and I all exchange a look as if we're all silently asking each other who is going to ask the question. Richie points at me but I quickly shake my head at him and resume my reading. There's no way I'm getting involved in the band's issues. Of course, I'll help if they ask for it otherwise I'll stay out of it. 

 A minute or two passes until Richie nervously clears his throat "What's wrong Jon?". "It's nothin Rich... I'll fix it" Richie stares at Dave, hoping he'll add a word or two but he remains silent just like me "Well what is it? maybe we can help". He suddenly stops pacing and twists his face with unsurety "The band who were supposed to be opening for us called... they can't make it... the lead singer is sick". "So... we have no opening band?" Jon nods morbidly and continues his pacing around the room. Richie slumps back in his chair, his face turning solemn "Man I like those guys too... cool band". "That Extreme?" Richie nods in response to Daves question and they both share the same sadenned look. Extreme is a rock band that started in 1985 and theyve been Jons support act for the first leg of this tour and its the first time they cant make it to a show. Jon continues to pace, desperately thinking of a last minute solution. He always takes all of the responsibility on his shoulders but he wouldn't change that for anything. 

As if lightening strikes, he spins round and gives me a strange look and I somehow know exactly what he's thinking. Before he has a chance to open his mouth, I snap my book closed and jump to my feet "No Jon... absolutely not!!". "Come on baby... you know I wouldn't ask" He knows I can't resist those bright eyes so I spin round and face away from him "Good so don't!". If only to make it much worse for me, he slides his hands round my waist and nuzzles into the crook of my neck "Come on baby... what are you so afraid of? that they'll actually like it?". He has a point but It would be so weird, being the opening act to my husbands band, wouldn't it? I mean it would look so odd and I'm sure the papers will have a field day "What will people think? I don't wanna be like Paul and Linda... I love them but I can't be like that". "I'm not asking you to join the band babe... It's not for me, It's for the kids.... please" He just had to go and say that didn't he? how could I refuse that? "Fine... but I need T and Lemma". He sighs begrudgingly but gives into my demands "Done".

"Oh god I'm so nervous.... how are you not nervous Lemma?" He chuckles at my rosy cheeks and sweaty palms "I was a little nervous for the Moscow peace festival but that was the only time". Our conversation is cut short when we're called onto the stage. Lemma and T make their way on, taking no note of the deafening screams. "It's for the kids..... It's for the kids.... I can do this.... your a rock star.... I can do this shit!!" I'm talking some sense into myself as I strut out towards the mic. The golden rays bounce off my leather outfit, lighting me up like a Christmas tree. The screams grow louder but it's not for me, It's for Dave and Tico. They must think Bon Jovi is coming on stage early, they'll be so disappointed when they realise its me singing.