New Jersey on the road

November 1st 1988 / Dublin

Rosie's POV

I tickle the keys on Dave's piano, wetting my lips before joining in with singing "Imagine there's no heaven.... It's easy if you try....". Tico joins in with a steady drumming beat while I continue through the song. "Imagine all the people..... living for today.... Ahhhhahh" I gently sing out the song, gradually feeling more and more comfortable playing in front of more people than I'm used to.

"You may say I'm a dreamer.... but I'm not the only one" I glance over to Jon who is sitting watching me with all of his friends and most of the bar we're in, giving him a quick smile. I can feel my soul shining and lifting with this song, It's such a beautiful meaningful song. "Imagine no possessions.. I wonder if you can... No need for greed or hunger" I stop playing piano to give myself a rest and Dave immediately starts. We come to the end of the song and earn a wave of applause and cheers from everyone in the bar. I elicit a tiny giggle and bashfully smile, feeling my cheeks burn bright red "Thankyou".

I blaze through Billy Joel- She's always a woman then get up with an acoustic guitar "Well seeing as we're in Ireland... I'm gonna sing one of my favourite songs... and I know you'll all know it... so join in please". I start off strumming the opening chords and everyone in the bar immediately start clapping in unison.

"Well, I took a stroll on the old long walk

Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
On a grand soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
And I knew right then I'd be takin' a whirl
'Down the Salthill Prom with a Galway girl" The whole bar is bouncing, singing and clapping with joy. Beer is splashing out of the glasses and people are laughing and smiling. This honestly makes me feel really good to see people so happy.

I quickly wave Jon up and he hesitates for a moment before joining me on stage "Babe I don't know the words to this". "Play your harmonica... It'll be good" I give him an encouraging smile and he plucks it out of his pocket, blowing out a folk tune to match the song. Everyone starts cheering and clapping even louder.

"We were halfway there when the rain came down

Of a day -I-ay-I-ay
And she took me up to her flat downtown
On a grand soft day -I-ay-I-ay
And I ask you, friend, what's a fella to do
'Cause her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand and I gave her a twirl
And then I lost my heart to a Galway girl" We come to an instrumental part so once again Jon blows out another tune on his harmonica and he actually looks like he's loving every minute of this. They had a bad first show here in Dublin to start the tour so I suggested coming down to the bar to let off some steam and one thing led to another and they ended up coaxing me onto the stage.

After that song, Tico, Richie and Jon take a break and head to the bar for another round of drinks. I whisper to Dave the next song before turning back to the people "Okay... everyone wants someone to hold onto to... for strength... for love... for faith.... When we feel like we're lost or.... we no longer have faith in ourselves... we go to that person and say 'Have a little faith in me'". Dave starts the song by tickling the keys on the piano while I situate myself on the bar stool, just me and the mic and Dave on Piano. Everyone turns their heads towards me, even the guys have shuffled to the front of the crowd to watch.

"When the road gets dark

And you can no longer see
Just let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in meWhen the tears you cry
Are all you can believe
Just give these loving arms a try, baby
And have a little faith in meHave a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in meWhen your secret heart
Cannot speak so easily
Come here darlin'
From a whisper start
To have a little faith in meWhen your back's against the wall
Just turn around and you will see
I'll be there, I'll be there to catch your fall
So have a little faith in meHave a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me'Cause I've been loving you for such a long time, baby
Expecting nothing in return
Just for you to have a little faith in me
You see time, time is our friend
'Cause for us there is no end
All you gotta do is have a little faith in me (Have a little faith, ooh)I will hold you up, I'm gonna hold you up
Because your love gives me strength enough
So have a little faith in me (Have a little faith)
All I want ya to do for me, baby
All ya gotta do is just to have a little bit of faith in me
(Have a little faith)
(Faith, have a little, faith, just a little)
Oh, you gotta choose, just to have a little faith in me
(Have a little faith)
(Faith, have a little, faith, just a little)
Have a little faith in me (Have a little faith in me)
Have a little faith in me (Have a little faith in me)" I sing out the whole song with so much emotion and soul, more than I've ever done before. An eerie silence filled the room as soon as I started singing, so I have no idea if that's a good thing or not.