Chapter 50

Esmeray was coping by thinking back to the day she'd spent in Mystic Falls.

Currently, she had no idea where she was. She didn't know when she was going to get out. She appeared to be in an ancient sort of hospital room, but granted the fact she'd never stepped foot into a hospital, this was all very bizarre.

Stupid witches.

In Mystic Falls, Esmeray hadn't been able to enjoy much of Damon's company. Marcel had contacted Klaus before the afternoon wore in, while they'd been catching up (Klaus was mostly listening and enjoying the sight of Esmeray happy again). Someone named Papa Tunde had made an appearance in modern day New Orleans after he'd been killed by Klaus in 1919.

Klaus had offered Esmeray the chance to stay with Damon while he went to deal with it. Like an idiot, she'd said no, because she was too worried with the news that Papa Tunde was taking down vampires like it was nothing.

"You should remain here," said Klaus, trying not to be too harsh with his request. "This man practices magic you do not recognize, and he will attempt to harm you."

"I'm in charge of the French Quarter!" she insisted. "I took my break today, I have to go back."

"One day of speaking with your best mate isn't enough, love," he countered, keeping his voice level, though he was quickly losing his temper. Why couldn't she ever see how stressed out she was? "I've done what I needed to do here— relished in hearing of the death of Katerina Petrova. That's it. Now, I wish to return to my city to solve a problem before it gets out of hand. I'd rather you not be there when the inevitable chaos goes down."

"I am going back to New Orleans," she snapped. "Whether I go with you, or in the next plane. If this Papa Tunde guy is back, he's going to come after you. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here enjoying a non-alcoholic mimosa while you suffer."

"Hey, don't diss the non-alcoholic mimosas!" said Damon, trying to make them laugh, though the glare the two of them sent his way was enough to make him close his mouth quickly.

Klaus growled and put one hand on the back of his head, flexing his fingers in annoyance. "Love, you have seen my memories, you have seen what I did to him—"

"Which is why I want to go!"

"You also know that he can hurt you—"

"When haven't I been hurt before?"

"I cannot lose you!" he snapped, and she didn't even flinch, just stared at him blankly with her arms crossed.

"I can't lose you either," she said flatly. "I don't know why you think I'm going to abandon you and leave you fighting your literal and figurative demons alone."

"Not even twenty-four hours ago you were raving about how much you hated New Orleans! You were demonstrating that you needed a vacation! I'm offering you the chance to stay, safely, in a place that will bring you no harm!"

"I can come back once Papa Tunde is gone! You're right, I hate New Orleans. I hate New Orleans because of Anya's death and because of all the problems. But I don't want to hate it, Klaus. And the only way I won't hate it is if I make it better. That's why I've been working so hard to fix things. I want it to become a place where your daughter can be safe. A place I will love and enjoy."

She turned to Damon. "I mean, tell me, do you like New Orleans? Don't answer that." Damon shut his mouth abruptly, just when he'd been about to speak. "I know you do. But you would prefer it to be a fun city, right? And it can't be fun if lunatic witches who are supposed to be dead are prancing around killing vampires. I am going back whether you like it or not, Klaus. This is a relationship, and that means we don't control each other, we make decisions together. You said your piece, and I acknowledged it."