Chapter 35 - The Truth

The sound of my alarm makes me jolt out of bed, get tangled in my sheets and then fall ungracefully off my bed. I try to find the clock but my hair has created a nest around my face and I can't see clearly.

I pull my hair back and promise myself to cut this damn thing short as soon as possible. I slam the snooze button and wince in pain when my hand throbs because it hasn't fully healed from the time when I stabbed myself with a fork.

I check the time and it's just past one in the afternoon, I scratch my head, confused as to why I would set my alarm to wake me up this early in the day.

I look around my room for something to jog my memory but all I can see is that my room looks like a pigsty and is in need of proper cleaning. I scratch my hair and gag at the awful smell I get from my hand when I sniff it.

When last did I even wash my hair, since I'm already up I decide to just have my bath and eat and then maybe study a little for the upcoming exams.

I finish showering and emerge from my room wearing a hooded crop top with sweats, I walk barefoot because I enjoy the feeling of the cold tiles under my feet.

I spot my mom and Flinette dressed sitting in the kitchen with coffee mugs in their hands and I scratch my head as I wonder why they're both dressed on a Saturday afternoon.

"Finally she's awake" Flinette says and I want to chuck an apple at her face, "I thought I'd have to come and drag you out of bed"

"Why would you need to drag me out of bed when we're not doing anything important today" I say and bite into an apple.

"Have you forgotten we're going to see Adaira today?" Flinette asks and I can see my mom chuckle as she has pieced together that I've probably forgotten what we discussed last night after a lifetime of awkward silence and horrible jokes from Flinette.

"Of course I've not forgotten" I lie and laugh awkwardly.

"So you're going like that?" Flinette asks

I look down at my outfit, "of course I am" I say and take another bite of my apple, "I dressed for comfort"

"Uh-huh" Flinette says

"Uh-huh" I say and we both glare at each other before we burst into laughter.

"No, really is that what you're going to wear?"

*

I don't change even though I came to regret the decision the moment we walked out the front door and the cold air hit my bare stomach and I shivered, Flinette had a smug smile when she saw me suffering and I think I heard my mom snicker also.

I choose to ignore them and stay adamant to my decision to dress half exposed at a time such as late in November even when I know that snowfall might begin anytime soon and I might as well become nothing more than a frozen statue on the sidewalk if I continue dressing the way I do right now.

I rush to the back seat of the car and immediately turn the heater on to a few notches close to the highest.

"What are you trying to do in here?" Flinette asks, "Roast us?"

"The only thing that will be roasting very soon are your thongs if you don't come into the car right this instant and shut the door" I snap as I wait for Flinette to enter the car so that the heating can circulate instead of flying out the door like she's allowing it to do right now.

"Girls behave" my mom snaps as she enters followed by Flinette and we drive off towards the hospital.

I don't know if the ride to the hospital was always this short or if maybe it's the thoughts running rampant in my head that aren't allowing me to think.