Chapter 42 - States

I don't remember when I fell asleep but what I do know is that when I woke up Flinette was sleeping beside me in Shaze's room. I snuggle into her and begin to play with the tip of her hair. I kiss her forehead and I hear her giggle.

"Don't tell me your forehead is still sensitive" I laugh and begin to place wet kisses on her forehead. She begins to laugh uncontrollably while trying to wiggle out of my grip.

"When did you get back?" I ask and she snuggles into my boobs.

"A little past ten" she replies, "I had a few drinks and forgot the time"

"I bet you have a killer hangover" I say and smooth the hair away from her eyes.

"Not really" she shrugs and I know that she is trying to cope with the pain of breaking up with Andre.

"Why did you break up with Andre?" I ask and she shrugs again, "I deserve to know the reason"

"We had a conflict of interests and I do not make compromises when it comes to that" she says like it's something extremely simple, breaking up with someone you've been dating for two years.

"Are you sure?" I ask and she nods her head.

"I guess I just didn't realize early enough how broken I was" she says and my shirt begins to feel wet, "Someone like me would be too much trouble for him if we continued on"

"I guess we both didn't realize how broken we were" I say and continue to stroke her hair, "Maybe if we had realized we were damaged earlier things would have been different"

"Maybe" she says and I hug her crying form tighter to my chest because her crying hurts more than anything that I've experienced well besides losing Adaira.

*

*

"How did you know all what I planned?" I ask Flinette.

She looks up from her mug of coffee, "You're easy to read for me, I could see you had something devious planned so I simply followed you and eavesdropped on your conversation with the bartender and then I also paid him off some more to keep everything under wraps"

"Wow" I say and take a gulp from my orange juice, "what happened to Renae?"

"I took her to our place and left her in the guest room" she says and hums while taking another sip.

"I left a note saying that we went to run an urgent errand and tried waking her up but she didn't budge and that she should also help herself to whatever she finds in the fridge"

"Wow" I say and clap my hands, "you're more cunning than I am"

She smirks over her cup, "I'm not called Queen Bee for no reason"

"Does Shaze know about our plan?" I ask and she nods, "and he didn't say anything against it?"

"Not a peep" she says and I sigh as my worst fears were confirmed. I didn't want thinks to go this way, for him to make himself accustomed to bullying so that he can be around me and yet I have made him make that choice just because I don't want to lose him.

"Is anything wrong?" Flinette asks and I shake my head.

"I just have a lot on my mind" I say and pick up my phone from the countertop when it starts ringing, "excuse me"

I walk into the guest room and lock the door, "yeah?"

The sound of the British voice on the other end of the line only makes me more antsy and sad, "I've sent all what I have to your email"

"Thank you" I say and the heavy weight that I had forgotten is back on my chest, "I'll make good use of it"

"No problem" he says.