Chapter 43 - Who We Are

"What did you say to him after that?" Shantele asks and I slam my locker shut wishing it was a door with Mr Farrand on the other side.

"I walked out on him" I reply and try to resist the temptation to pull at my hair.

"And then what?" she asks

"Flinette came to my room and told me she wants to go that she doesn't like it here in Chicago" I reply sadly and wipe at a stray tear that wants to come out.

"But you want to stay?" She asks and I nod my head even though I know she won't see me since we're talking on the phone.

"I don't want to go Shanty" I whisper because my throat is already feeling hoarse. "My mom said if I don't want to go then I should tell her and I said I don't"

"Does that mean you're staying?" she asks.

"Yeah but Flinette is going" I say and I hear Shantele sigh heavily, "I don't want to go but she wants to and I'm not going to stop her from being happy but I don't want to leave either"

"So you're both going to stay separated?"

"Yeah, it's good practice anyways" I say, "We were already planning to go to different colleges anyways so we can learn how to be apart now"

"Still that must suck" Shantele comments, I shuffle my feet on the floor and nod my head.

"It does" I confirm, "Listen I have to go because we have one last practice before the game"

"See you later girl"

"See you" I cut the call and quickly change into my cheerleading uniform, I make sure to wear gloves because the weather keeps getting cold.

"Jossie" Renae says from behind me and I suck in a breath.

"Hey there" I smile even though life makes me want to cry and give up, "you're looking chipper this morning"

"I just want to ask what happened on Wednesday" she says slowly.

"Well we settled our differences and had one too many fruit cocktails and then we passed out in my house" I say.

"Really?" she asks, "cause I can't remember a thing"

"Well you know that fruit cocktails have a bit of alcohol in them so we probably got a little bit drunk" I giggle and tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "I guess we can cross that little bit out of our bucket list of things to do before senior year"

"You still remember that?" she asks and I nod my head.

"Of course" I say and take both her hands into mine, "We're still friends"

She smiles and I also smile, from the corner of my eyes I see Avaline standing by the corner with her fists clenched, "Let's take a selfie to upload on our social media"

We pose for the picture and I put my arms around Renae as we make cute faces for the camera, my phone vibrates in my pocket and I check the message, I type a quick reply and continue posing.

After taking the pictures, I excuse myself to go make a call outside. I jog towards the girls bathroom where Avaline is waiting for me.

"Hey Avaline" I say

"Hey" she murmurs and shuffles her feet awkwardly on the ground.

"What's up?" I ask and tilt my head.

"I saw you with Renae in the corridor, you two looked so chummy" she clenches her hand so tight that if she wore acrylic nails like I did then she would have given herself a nasty cut.