Chapter 3 - Raymond Mark

PART 1: FLASHBACK: A FEW DAYS AGO

Raymond opened his eyes when he heard his name being called out many times. His eyes were hard to open, but he managed to get a good look around him. He was in his classroom. It was still hard to keep his blue eyes open.

"Would you do me a favour and leave my class, Mr Mark?" said a voice.

When Raymond looked at her, he realised that it was Mrs Rake. Raymond immediately got up and collected his things. His teacher was annoyed.

"A bunch of 17-year-olds who never learn to respect their teachers," said Mrs Rake.

"It was a mistake," said Raymond, "totally unintended."

But Mrs Rake was in no mood to say anything. She just pointed the door to Raymond and he had to leave. He heard everyone laughing at him.

Raymond washed his face from the cold water whooshing down the faucet in the washroom. Then he left the school as it was his last lecture for the day. His teacher did not know that he had just moved out yesterday. He stayed up for most of his night to unpack and get his school stuff ready. He was tired enough to sleep in the class.

He decided to go to his new home after taking a minute to sit quietly in the park. He thought that the wind and greenery would help him get over the regret he had. He was thinking of moving out of his parents' house since long, but the timing he chose was not nice. He realised it yesterday while unpacking. Now, because of his bad selection of timing, his mom and dad were hurt. They thought Raymond moved out because they opened up. But Raymond knew it was not just that. He knew he had to grow on his own.

Besides, his parents never treated him how he was supposed to. It was all about his younger brother, Patrick. Patrick was tall and muscular, good in studies, sports and was popular. This was always a matter of comparison between him and Raymond.

Raymond was not good at anything and his parents showed him how good Patrick was and how Raymond should try and be like him. They never even celebrated his birthday party. His parents would arrange a combined birthday party on Patrick's birthday with a banner with both of their names on it. Raymond hated that part, but he loved his parents anyway. Parents are the only people who don't ask anything back from their children.

A football came and hit Raymond's head. He fell from the bench. With his cheek hurting, he got up and looked who threw that at him. They were his classmates. Two boys and a girl. Raymond never cared about their names.

"Spacing out again? Weirdo!" said the girl.

"You don't need an apology do you?" said the big guy.

"Of course he doesn't," said the thinner guy. "Why are you sitting where we play?"

"No, it's okay," said Raymond, getting up. Raymond's phone started vibrating, he looked at it to see 'Work alarm!'. He prepared to leave.

"Don't leave, we're not done with you," said the girl.

Raymond did not listen to her. He began walking.

"Didn't you hear?" said that guy. He came and pushed Raymond.

Raymond was a tiny, thin boy. That jolt made him fall on the floor again. His bag fell and books dropped out. Those three laughed.

"That's enough," said Raymond, "just let me go." He was not at all a fighter. With his size and strength, it would be a miracle if he managed to make his opponent take a step back even with his full strength shove. But he never did that, he was afraid of getting hurt.

"What will you do?" said the thinner guy from the back.

"He can do nothing, Dave," said the big one, "he even took a slap from his prom partner and walked away without even saying anything — "