Chapter 36 - Katie Brown

PART 1: 13 YEARS AGO

In the living room of a small house, young Katie was sketching something on paper. She was about 5 years old. Mr Brown — her father — who seemed to be in his thirties came into the room. He was wearing formal clothes, as he just came from work.

"What is my little princess doing?" he asked in a sweet tone.

"Daddy!" young Katie jumped with joy. She ran and hugged her father.

Mr Brown picked her up, forgetting all about his tired body. When his little daughter showed him the sketch of a cat she made, he smiled and soothed her hair acknowledging her hard work.

"Where did you see a cat, dear?" Mr Brown asked Katie.

"It was outside the window," young Katie said pointing at the window. "Can we get one, I promise I will take care of it! They are so cute!"

"Sure dear," Mr Brown said. "We will get a cat for you soon."

"You're the best, Daddy," Katie said, jumping continuously with joy.

Mr Brown started to look around the room. He was expecting to find his wife, Katie's mother, but she was not there.

"Mom left after lunch," young Katie informed her father. "She said it was an urgent meeting. She asked me not to leave the room until you come home. And I didn't leave the room!"

"That's my girl!" Mr Brown said, picking his daughter in his arms. Young Katie was so happy she could not stop laughing.

"How was your work, daddy? Did you sell your design?" Katie asked.

"Oh, I did," Mr Brown said. "Hundreds were waiting in line for your Daddy's designs. I told them I had to meet my daughter and ran away."

With huge laughter, Mr Brown and Katie went into the Kitchen for their dinner. After dinner, Mr Brown tucked young Katie in her bed and sat beside her bed soothing her head. When she was asleep Mr Brown got up and left.

He heard the doorbell ring and went to open the door. It was his wife — Mrs Brown. She was tired and out of shape. She just closed a deal with one of her clients and had to go to a party with them to celebrate.

"You left Katie alone?" Mr Brown asked directly. "She is just five, Barbara. You must not do that ever again. At least you could have given me a call!"

Mrs Brown was too tired. The idea of calling her husband before leaving had crossed her mind. She knew that if she had gone for that, her husband would have come home leaving his clients so that Katie was not alone.

They already had financial problems since her husband left his job to become a fashion designer. He was struggling to get clients for his design at the start of his career. They could not afford a caretaker for Katie for the time being.

Mr Brown had Katie as his priority. He wanted to work, but not at the cost of leaving his 5-year-old daughter alone. He knew he was too emotional. He should make his priority be Katie's food and clothes. Only money could bring that.

But the idea that his daughter could get hurt or be scared all by herself scared him.

"You promised me," Mrs Brown said to Mr Brown, "that this child would never come in the way of my career. That's why she's with us."

Mr Brown got angry and snapped,

"Don't bring that up."

A few days later, Mrs Brown was sitting and working on her computer. She was typing with specks on and she was very tired. Young Katie came running with a toy aeroplane in her hand.