Chapter 23 - All The Blame

PART 1: A TALKATIVE COMPANION

Katie and Gavin were walking through the forest. Katie did not like the silence so she kept talking on her own. She told Gavin about the training Master Owens put her and Raymond through. She also mentioned that earlier that day, she learnt to control the lightning from a storm.

Gavin had his hands on his temples. He had no interest in talking. He had asked Katie to shut up for heaven's sake, but that did not work even on the hundredth time.

"I don't get it," Gavin said, "I insulted you that day. You shouldn't even talk to me."

He was referring to the day he first came to the beach house and got mad that humans were taken as students by a Master instead of him who was more powerful and talented. He had tried to threaten Raymond and Katie with his powers.

"Well," Katie said with a smile, "I'm not going to hold a grudge against you."

"Please do," Gavin begged.

Suddenly, they saw flames in the sky. Katie immediately knew it was Raymond's signal. He sent it to pass his location to all. Gavin covered Katie's mouth before she could speak. He crouched down and pulled Katie too. He had sensed something.

PART 2: EVE'S FRIEND

Raymond and Eve were walking for some time. Eve was not feeling good and Raymond was tired after that fight with the Ghost too. His new move, 'Blazing Inferno', was not optimised yet. 'Fire Fist' took far less effort now than on its first attempt. Raymond knew that practice would get his new move to a point to perfection as well.

As they were tired, they found a clearing and sat on rocks. Raymond took some branches and lit a fire. The storm that evening had transformed the warm atmosphere into a cold one.

Raymond remembered that their faces needed to be covered in the forest or else the Ghosts would search for them and kill them. He had his face covered with his handkerchief. But Eve had not. He thought she might not have a handkerchief.

Raymond began to tear his sleeve, but Eve stopped him. She told him that it was not necessary now as one of the Ghosts had already seen their faces. Besides. She also told him that her face was seen by a Ghost when she was little.

To pass their location to their friends, Raymond shot a fire signal high up in the air. It was risky, he knew it. The Ghosts could sense their Elemental powers and more of them would gather if they saw it. But that was the risk they had to take.

"So," Eve cleared her throat and said, "you and Katie, huh? Have you been together since you got here or even before?"

"If you mean together-together, then no," Raymond replied. "We became friends when we got here. Nothing more than that."

"Good. I mean... nothing," Eve stammered. She knew that the life of a Human on Elemental Earth was too difficult to live alone. It was great that Raymond and Katie were each other's friends.

"I don't believe in love anyway," Raymond said to her.

Eve chuckled and said,

"Then we're gonna be good friends. I don't believe in those illusions either."

"Friends?" Raymond asked with his hand extended towards Eve.

"Why not?" Eve said with a smile. They shook hands.

Raymond now had twice as many friends as he had back home. He only had Emma there. Here, he had Katie and now Eve. He was proud of himself.

"Are you worried about her? Katie?" Eve asked.