Chapter 17 - Past

PART 1: COURAGE OR FEAR

Master Wyngaf had been back by the time Raymond and Katie got back from the carnival. Master Owens left as he wanted to meet Master Ellendun. Master Wyngaf had visited there too.

Raymond and Katie were sitting on Katie's bed. Legs crossed, mentally relaxed. The window showed the beach waves and the drizzle continued. They felt pity as Eve missed the carnival. But, they knew she was famous so coming to such a place would only create chaos.

"Were you scared today? Of death?" Raymond asked Katie.

The silence after that cleared that he should not have asked such a question. But he could not help himself. His mind was relaxed, but the memories of that afternoon's attack were re-playing in his mind.

"No," Katie replied, "I guess, I wasn't scared."

"That's great," Raymond said.

Raymond wanted to be like Katie, she was not scared. While Katie wanted to be like Raymond, to be a little more serious.

"I was scared out of my mind," Raymond said. "My entire life flashed over my eyes. All the guilt has taken over me. I want to talk about it. If you don't mind."

"Of course, Ray. I don't mind," Katie said.

PART 2: MEETING MASTER ELLENDUN

Master Ellendun was sitting on the couch with his staff standing straight on the ground. The orb on the top showed Katie's room at the beach house — Katie was hugging Raymond.

The room filled with flames as Master Owens dived into that room. Master Ellendun looked at him.

"What took you so long?" asked Master Ellendun.

"I was with Master Latif," said Master Owens. "He had something interesting to say."

"What could that interesting thing be?

"It's for Master Latif to report," said Master Owens, "I'm here for different reasons."

Master Owens sat on the opposite couch and looked into the orb to find his students. He was confused. Why would Master Ellendun spy on his students?

"Oh. Nothing," said Master Ellendun, "Walden will tell you everything he heard."

"Tell me," Master Owens said, "You see the future, right?"

Master Ellendun was confused. The scene inside the orb of his staff was gone. It was now just a blank translucent orb.

"Sometimes yes," Master Ellendun said, "but the future keeps changing so what I see doesn't always come true."

"Did you see that Raymond and Katie would be attacked today?" Master Owens asked immediately.

If he had known about the attack, he would not have left his students alone. Master Ellendun had asked Master Owens to leave his students alone for a while to give them some space. And they were attacked on the same day. Master Ellendun's silence made the answer clear. He knew all that was going to happen.

"You can't always be their guard," Master Ellendun said. "I had to let them face this thing. Today's event gave them the fear they needed to grow stronger every day. This event, no doubt, will generate promising results in their lives.

"Your students will be left alone in Battlelyte arena. It will be full of people who are ready to go to any lengths to prove their strengths and to crush humans. You should leave your overprotectiveness aside and let your students grow. Some risks are necessary to take, no matter the cost. As Masters, we must learn that teaching some lessons require us to sit and watch our students learn on their own."