Chapter 35 - Relentless

PART 1: MIRI'S STRENGTH

The huge Lion's Paw made out of fire slammed on Miri. The impact shook the ground. The shockwave almost shoved Gavin and Katie back. That huge paw was still on the ground after crushing Miri.

"How do you like that?" Gavin said.

"SWORDS OF WIND!" Miri said.

The flames of that paw were cut down into three pieces by two blades of wind. Gavin and Katie were flabbergasted. They were shocked that Miri was able to defend and counter Gavin's move with no trouble. She probably used a Wind barrier to protect herself and turned it into blades of wind to chop the paw of flame.

With that last move, Miri had discovered that her opponent was not weak. She never agreed that she would die easily by his hand.

Gavin could not believe that his most powerful move failed to leave a scratch on his enemy. Miri came out of the smoke, dust and flames; unharmed and scarier than before.

Gavin's attitude of not giving up reminded her of someone she hated long ago. That was why she wanted to see his powers. She did not feel emotions anymore. There was no hate or amusement for her now, she just wanted to get the Heirloom from Katie.

"SPIRAL FLAME BOMBS!

Gavin threw innumerable fireballs at Miri. Those fireballs travelled on a spiral path towards Miri and exploded before touching Miri.

"First thing," Miri said to Gavin. "I have an immortal body. Second, my wind can scatter your fire and make it less effective. For a berserker like you, I'm a really bad opponent."

Gavin gritted his teeth hopelessly. A lightning bolt came at Miri.

"LIGHTNING SMASH!" Katie yelled.

Miri tried to grab it in her right hand, but the kinetic energy of the bolt pushed her back. She went back scratching the ground with her shoes. Finally, when Miri felt stable, she directed the lightning bolt up in the sky.

Miri was surprised that Katie could throw such an attack when she was scared.

"You don't scare me," Katie said. Her tone declared that she was scared for real. But she immediately added, "I am not giving up."

Gavin smiled. Katie's words struck deep in her heart. He was getting scared of Miri for a bit. Now, when Katie showed her fearless move, he realised that he was supposed to protect the weak and getting scared of his opponents was not the right way for that.

"Thanks for bringing me back, Katie," Gavin said. "I will protect you. I won't be scared anymore."

Katie had a question mark on her face. She did not know what Gavin was talking about. Gavin rushed towards Miri without summoning his fire. Miri kicked his gut and then punched his face.

"It's futile," Miri said.

"I don't—" Gavin said, panting. "I don't care."

Miri gestured with her hands. The pressure of the wind slammed Gavin into a rock. Gavin got up coughing blood. Katie could not watch it. Gavin was surely out of Elemental energy to attack. But he was too stubborn to give up or even let Katie fight in his place.

"Gavin, stop it," Katie said. " You'll die."

"I'll die without giving up," Gavin said.

Katie knew that Gavin did not want help from her — a human. He would be devastated in spirit if he were to lose.

"If you don't get aside," Miri said in her emotionless voice. "I'll have to kill you. You are a worthless boy who serves no purpose in our goal."

Gavin ran towards Miri barehanded.