29. Divergence

Park Haejin pushed the books off her table in anger and frustration. She  reached upwards and tightly pressed her hands against the sides of her head, covering her ears as if shutting something out.

Jaehyun won't let it go.

After their confrontation she returned to her room without even stopping by the healers to check whether she was injured. Park Haejin was angry but she was also scared and anxious.

The moment Kim Jaehyun asked her that question, her heart sunk and an icy chill spread through her body.

Guilt was something people couldn't easily shake off and even before her and Kim Jaehyun had completely split apart, she'd always been the one running away from her guilt.

She clearly remembered that day when she arrived at the graveyard. Whilst she was hesitating to even take a step forward Kim Jaehyun had also arrived but he only looked at her briefly when he saw her. His glance toward her held some kind of alienation and perhaps anger that vanished soon as he turned away from her.

In that moment she truly envied him. How could he have the courage to face the person they'd both turned their backs on?

When she came to this world she thought she could finally be free, that she could forget the things that happened back in their world and finally move on. Nobody else knew, no one but her knew but then Kim Jaehyun was here too and he knew. So long as he remembered, so long as he was there then she'd never truly be free.

She couldn't let go of this guilt and now she couldn't even atone for her sins.

Park Haejin collapsed on the ground feeling completely helpless.

For this one crime both her and Kim Jaehyun had committed she felt as though she'd never be free, even if the person they hurt was already gone.

Tucked into the corner of her room Park Haejin hugged her knees to herself, tears rolling down her cheeks... "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have said that to you.... I shouldn't have done what I did... I didn't mean it, I swear I didn't. Please... please forgive me."

She knew she wouldn't obtain forgiveness now and even if she did she couldn't let go... she couldn't forgive herself for ruthlessly throwing away someone who trusted in her wholeheartedly.

Those pure limpid eyes would always haunt her dreams

This was the same for Kim Jaehyun.
He couldn't let go, couldn't forgive himself and was always trying to atone.
He still clearly remembered that broken-dispirited expression after he'd cruelly rejected the other person

I— I understand... I'm sorry I bothered you.

Then sometime later a letter was left at his desk, for a long time Kim Jaehyun couldn't read passed the first paragraph

I'm really sorry about what happened the other day, you don't have to worry about that anymore I promise. I understand that we're not friends anymore now....

When he'd finally read the latter half of the letter, it was too late. He was dead. A whole week later was when Kim Jaehyun finally went to the cemetery.
.
.
.
.

The atmosphere at the dining table was unbearable. It was tense and strange and uncomfortable to the point that even Prince Levi who had joined them in order to inform them of something important had a frown on his face.