Chapter 20

HUGO'S P.O.V.

James was breathing very slowly. I checked his pulse. It was almost gone. I got out of the car as Lucas approached with two medics by his side. "Not me", I said as they were gonna start dressing my forehead "Him."

They both ran to my car and pulled out James and took him inside the SUV. Lucas told me to leave my car here and sit in his car. I was horrified, "Leave without my car, Are you serious?"

Lucas replied as calmly as he ever was, "Your car is in no condition to be driven and you are in no condition to drive. So sit down in my car or I'll knock you down and then drag you to it." 

I had no choice but to obey him. James had already left. I hope he would be alright. After all, it was all my fault. I was diving deeper into guilt. Suddenly, I was overcome by exhaustion, fear, and grief. Before I knew it, my eyes closed and I slept. 

JAMES'S P.O.V. (Yep, He didn't die.

I woke up in immense pain. My body felt like every cell was thrown into a volcano and then retrieved and stitched back again. My vision was still blurry. I tried to rub my eyes but I couldn't move my hands. I was that weak. I moved my eyes as my vision cleared. I saw many pairs of eyes staring at me. There was Lucas, Ava, Ed, Grandpa, and Hugo. I could see from their eyes that they were all very worried. "Hello James" Grandpa spoke finally. I didn't reply. I wanted to speak a lot of things but I couldn't. Soon, Ava got down from my bed and left. Ed and Grandpa followed. Lucas looked at me and gave a charming smile. That smile motivated me a lot. Soon, he too left without a word. Hugo still sat on my bed. His eyes couldn't meet mine. I knew he was feeling guilty. I tried to speak his name. I tried but somehow I was unable to. Suddenly, it happened.

"Hugo", I said.

Hugo looked up and could not hide the happiness on his face. 

"James, How are you feeling now?", He asked, smiling.

"I'm okay, I guess.", I replied weakly. 

"I'm glad that you are okay.", He said. 

"Well, even I am.", I replied, smiling.

"I know.", Hugo replied sadly. 

"When can I get up from here?", I asked.

"In 2 days, also you need to rest now.", He replied as the nurse came and injected some drug into my IV. 

"But, I feel fine...", I protested weakly but the next thing I knew was I slept.

2 Days Later

The past two days were the longest days of my life. Time seemed to have been slowed down completely. Many people showed up. All of them were mafias. Even Hugo's brother visited. Ed and Ava stayed by my side in the day and kept me busy. Hugo would come and check in every few hours. Grandpa and Lucas two paid their visits but they came only a few times. Ed said that they were busy with some work. Two days staying in the bed was torture for a naturally active(not really) person like me. But they finally got over it.

And now I stood in front of the mirror glancing at my newfound scar on my cheek. The swelling had gone by now but the cut mark was still there. It would take a long time for it to heal. 

Suddenly, Ed came into the room and said, "Yo James, you're being called."

I nodded and followed him to Grandpa's study. Ava, Hugo, and Lucas were already waiting for us there. Grandpa was sitting on his throne-like chair reading something. As soon as we came inside, He looked up and our eyes met. For a second, I felt a bit scared. Then, he got up and walked to me and said, "James, There is another meeting tomorrow."

I looked at him and then at Ed. Ed's face clouded slightly and then looked at Grandpa and said, "Sir, I am with you. I will not betray or try to stop you. You have my word." 

Grandpa looked at him and smiled, then said, "I know Ed." 

"Wait for a second, What are you guys talking about? A meeting for what?", I asked cluelessly

Grandpa looked at  me and said, "We are going to kill Antonio Lane."

A.N.

Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and comment. Thank you for reading.