Chapter twenty one

As June followed Syd into the bathroom upstairs she wondered if she was truly going soft

As June followed Syd into the bathroom upstairs she wondered if she was truly going soft .

If a strange guy had tried to get her into a room with him before she would have no quarrels , and certainly no hesitation, in telling him to go fuck himself .

Instead she was pliable and relaxed as he locked the door behind them , the music downstairs barely audible from behind the door as her ears finally popped .

Watching him tiredly as he leant down to search through one of the cupboard under the sink for the first aid box , jumping up on top of the counter , grimacing as the cold marble struck her bare legs .

Things were going weirdly well . She realised . She had a nice shy friend who thought she was some hero of her world . Hanging onto her every word and idolising her every movement .

It was strange . She had never had a friend before , hadn't wanted one . Yet she couldn't deny that warmth in her chest that disgusted her .

She had , for the first time in her life , hesitated at the thought of leaving Cora alone with some guy.

She shouldn't care . She was only using her for her own gain wasn't she ? Yet she had meant every word .

She would pluck his eyes from his head with her fingernails if Lennon even touched a hair on her head .

June didn't make empty threats.

Things with Jett were okay too she supposed.

Although she still felt a need to put him in his place , maybe hurt him a little just to remind him she wasn't someone to be messed with .

But she liked him . She liked it when he kissed her and held her close like he didn't want to let go.

She had never been held so much before . Affection was rare in her childhood and she would be lying to say that she wasn't bathing in the feelings that lit her body everyone someone touched her . Or even held her hand . She liked it.

And then there was her father who had finally told her he was proud of her , all because she had made a friend and got a job just like he had asked .

He had been so kind lately , even buying her favourite snacks and leaving them in the fruit bowl that would never host any fruit .

He had even texted her to get home safe tonight . Something he had never once done in her life before .

Sometimes there had been days where she hadn't come home all weekend and not one word had been said about it . He had never cared. So what had changed .

Why was he suddenly trying so hard to be a father to her now ? Why couldn't he have tried so many years before she needed him .

She had always been so alone . Now she had people who wanted to be around her . People who cared .