chapter five

"I got the job June! I start tomorrow

"I got the job June! I start tomorrow . Isn't this fantastic ? We should celebrate . " Leon exclaimed happily as he walked into the kitchen where June was hunched over on the breakfast table shovelling spoonful's of cereal into her mouth .

Squinting her eyes up at him tiredly , still dressed in her fluffy pink dressing gown with a rats nest atop of her head .

"Good for you?" she croaked trying to keep her eyes open , her head dipping slightly towards the ground as she tried not to fall asleep with her face in the cereal . It wouldn't have been the first time she had done so .

Leon frowned at her lack of enthusiasm "it's good for us !" he corrected her firmly .

"it means I can finally start buying things to spruce up this place , it means no more debt . No more eating leftovers every night." he sighed contently , grimacing at the thought of the cold , hard pizza he had reheated for his tea the night before .

His forehead pinching as she failed to give him a response , looking like she was far away with the fairies . Would a smile really cost her so much?

"So..." he trailed off hoping to get her attention again.

"What do you want to do ? We can go to an arcade store or see a movie...I was thinking-" he started to list of things they could do .

Only June quickly cut him off , finally sitting up straight in her seat with a frown .

"I can't . I'm busy." she told him bluntly . Lifting herself off her seat and carrying her now empty bowl over to the sink to clean .

He looked shocked. "busy? Doing what? You don't know anyone here! What could you possibly be doing?" He asked her disappointed .

Having thought that this could be his chance to make there relationship stronger , away from the tainted memories of what they had called home .

Not realising that something's could never be forgotten and time alone often made those things much worse .

She rolled her eyes at his petulant tone , still not bothering to face him .

"I'm going shopping . I need some things , I can meet people there . " she half told the truth , deciding to leave out the part where she would be accompanied by a man twice her age who she had manipulated into buying her art supplies .

She didn't think her father would be very happy about that . Not that she cared about how he felt , but she could do without the complications and the hassle of him nagging at her every move .

He didn't deserve to play the concerned parent card . He hadn't bothered before and she wasn't going to let him behave like one now either .

Leon paused and failed to keep his mouth from gaping open at the thought of his anti social daughter willingly trying to make friends .